Skip to main content

Just Been One of Those Days

Well, my thoroughly insane week has begun.

Yesterday I woke up at nine and was packing boxes by ten. At the end of the day, after hours of boxing and even a few hours at work, I crashed in my bed in a different house I will soon learn to call home.

The morning was a flurry of activity, more and more people coming upstairs and requesting more stuff to move because their pick-ups or cars could fit something else. All the boys helping us 3 girls move were patient and gracious and volunteered to be at our mercy as long as we requested their man muscles and man cars. Just before one'o'clock and shortly after the majority of my stuff had been carted from the house on Dayton Dave took me to work. All day I campaigned to my boss to please please let me go home early, it's not too busy up here, please please I'm trying to move today and you've already consciously overscheduled me on the first week of winter quarter please please don't add inhumanity to your long list of professional faults. I managed to talk my way into a 45-minute early release and bolted back to the new house, wanting to get some semblence of order before I collapsed.

Walking into our amazing new home I marveled at the order they had established in the structure in a single day; walking upstairs and seeing that 80% of the boxes left to unpack were mine was another emotion entirely. But, one hour later, after a few sips of red wine, 2 slices of pizza, and a sufficiently organized bookshelf I felt better. My roommates offered help as often as they could but it was just at that point where you're knee-deep in boxes of your belongings and you just have to figure out where you can put it all; personally finding a home for your belongings just helps you feel at home, too.

After my mom and step-dad came over to drop off several appliances (including company for the pair of spoons in the bare silverware drawer), after Carrie and Chandra went to bed and the house was quiet, after Dave had called to soothe me in my overwhelmed state, I took in the house for myself in its surreal emptiness. As I hung up the phone I was sprawled on the kitchen tiles, cramming food onto my little shelf, marveling at how different the house felt. The cold floor made itself known against my calves, which is a far different feeling than the carpet I'm used to. Getting up from the floor I looked at the walls and realized Carrie was right, the lighter colors made everything seem much more spacious and open. Creeping up the stairs and into bed I felt the narrow hall in unfamiliarity, used to having a large common space right outside my bedroom door; it's weird how spatial sensations like that stick with you. As I plugged in my cell phone I watched the shadows of tree branches play in magnified size against our tall blinds and listened to Carrie's soft breathing, weirded out that I should just have one roommate and one who slept so quietly. And sliding across the covers to pull them down, their cool smoothness reminded me that I had not slept here before tonight.

I lay awake for a while, tired but not quite ready for sleep as the cogs in my brain spun like crazy to keep up with all I was processing. I knew that the next day involved a lot of work and school, and I would come home tired to a bunch of boxes leering up at me from my bedroom floor. I'm not sure how to deal with a week like this except one day at a time.

In the morning, stumbling from my bed in a stupor, I realized that the morning sun lights up my bedroom warmly. I think that's when I realized that I like this house, that it could be my home; and that'll make it easier to come back to it at night, despite the differences from the house on Dayton.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all