Skip to main content

Saturday Morning

This is how you start the day.

This morning my dad went to Tim Horton's and got me a mocha coffee (just right) a vanilla parfait (bless him, I love fruit beyond all other food) and a lightly glazed cinnamon roll. We took over the TV as we pleased and I subjected him to my favorite Seinfeld episode - the little chilren whom I am related to are still away at camp and therefore aren't around to make any comments or ruin the punch lines with a loud "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, HEATHER? I DON'T GET IT." I loved camp when I was little but I can now see why my parents sent me.

Now I've got my favorite journal set out in front of me, wide open and filling up with thoughts and verses and really thinking about things. Nothing taunts me quite like blank journal pages that I can't fill upon their contact with the air. But the white is disappearing under oodles of beautiful Psalms and verses investigating prayer and whatnot to satisfy my spiritual curiousity, accompanied by gratuitous notes in the margins as I think of them.

This is a fabulous place by the way for this kind of thing. Dozens of languages and translations and fabulous for word searches. God love the internet.

And not only are the pages filling but my soul and ears are being filled with my Frankie. You didn't know I own Frank Sinatra? I don't care if you had first dibs, he's still mine. I caved yesterday and bought 20 of his songs off of iTunes (my dad's eyes bulged the tiniest bit when I told him) but oh, Frankie my Frankie, when songs like "The Tender Trap" and "I've Got You Under My Skin" seep from the speakers in that velvety perfection of male vocals...goosebumps tingles and other such delightful involuntary symptoms. I keep playing the former over and over, wanting to memorize the words...ok, I'm definetely no Sinatra, obviously, but if I can nail these lyrics I can recreate Sinatra any time I want....

I'm sitting here in my Supergirl pj pants, completely content. The little siblings are not quite home yet (dad has gone to get them they should be here any moment) and the house is mine to overrun as I please for a small time, cranking up "I've Got the World On A String" as loud as I please, dancing around the living room as much as I want without a single peanut gallery member present to comment on my inability. Even the humidity that has been haunting Columbus has disapparated and it's blue sky and fluffy white clouds and sunny kind of morning, even if it's past noon.

I haven't showered, I'm not being productive, but I've got Frank Sinatra and am surmounting the challenge of blank journal pages and am wearing my favorite pj pants. It's one of those moments where you could make the mistake that everything is right in the world.

And it's worth making the mistake for an hour on a sunny Saturday morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und