Skip to main content

When In Doubt, Blame The Meds

I've always hated the feeling that comes with watching the cursor blink with boredom on a clean computer screen. Nothing seems to mock me more than to have the space to say something and have nothing to say. I've been getting that response frequently lately and after talking with mom I think it might be because my darn medication is not quite up to snuff. It's definetely closer to par this time around but something is still off, something subtle. I suppose I'll have to wait until my October "follow up appointment" to see if we need to up the ante as far as dosage.

For the first time ever I gave into what I've always felt to be a morbid impulse: I poked about online for information about my thyroid. Although thoroughly entertained by the fact that my condition going untreated in men gives them temporary bosoms, I couldn't tune out my frustration at my own body. I am stuck with this. It is going to mess with me my whole life. I am going to be dependent on medication for normalcy the rest of my days. I guess that's just pride speaking, but I don't want to have that weakness, that uncertainty about whether or not some thoughts are me or my medication (or lack thereof) speaking. Usually I don't think about this kind of stuff, I just take it as it comes because what else can I really do, but every once in a while I come up against obstacles caused by it and am frustrated by it. It's such a little thing, almost intangible because all the effects at this point are basically emotional ones, and i'm irritated at the degree of effect it still has on me.

As far as medical problems go I lucked out on getting this one. Balancing it will be a pain in the ass for the next few months but eventually I'll be down to one perfect pill a day and finally have consistency.

And speaking of consistency...I'm finally moving out. September 17th. For the first time in five years no more two bedrooms, no more two closets, no more two dressers, no more two schedules. I'll have one bed, one place for my clothes, one place where I can always find the shoes I need, one schedule to worry about. It won't be the easiest thing, that I know; I'm gaining 7 roommates, I'll have to remember how to share a bedroom, and will have other aspects of accountability I'll be responsible for, not to mention the new financial burden. But I do think it's the best thing and I believe that God will help me make it work out.

So lots of stuff is changing, but I'm looking forward to the end result, the ripples and effects. As a charming elderly customer reminded me one day, do what you can about what you can and leave the rest in bigger hands - his hands can hold a lot more than ours anyways and do a lot better with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all