Skip to main content

Why I Still Work At Giant Eagle

There are some days I'd just rather not deal with it. I will wake up on days I have to work and dread having to donate a 7-hour chunk of time to GE. Visions of the growing amount of hours weigh on my mind, pressed down by the general confusion and chaos which is the front end of the store. Our best manager? Transferred to a different store. Our other manager who has been around for a couple years? Not currently working because he's in and out of the hospital. New current manager? A woman with a stubborn vision to reform the store in the midst of this upheaval, and who plays favorites. How do you know you're an enemy of hers? If you ask to be unavailable on an inconvenient day of the week and she cuts your hours as low as possible. How do you know you're a favorite? If you work your butt off picking up slack from other front end cashiers, two-thirds of which have been hired inside the past 2 or 3 months, and come in when you're scheduled and give her plenty of notice when you're calling off; this behavior is rewarded with a hefty dump of hours on you. Favorites like me, who are students and have other time-consuming commitments outside of work and school, want to cry when they see that big fat 30 on the schedule telling me just how busy of a week I'm going to have.

I don't want to deal with the politics and quirks that come with a new manager. I don't want to deal with the insanity of the store since our customer flow has tripled since the school year started and the college students all came home. I don't want to always be in fear of how much and when I'm working every week, because the variation as far as amount and time slot can be almost anything. I don't want to deal with snotty grouchy rude cell-phone absorbed customers coming in and throwing their weight around and making my already difficult day even more complicated and unpleasant. I just don't want to deal with it.

But then there's people like Shuzhene and Ziping. An adorable older Chinese couple, they come in frequently and speak almost no English. I once walked past their house on the way home by chance and Shuzhene mustered up her English and communicated how she wanted me to come back and visit again. So today, I took her up on her offer on my way home from a particularly deteriorated version of insanity at work. The screen door was closed, but the door behind it was open, and I could see her bent over and intently working on some knitting in her little wrinkled hands. Once she realized who I was, she pulled me inside and forced me to sit down. She and her husband Ziping were all smiles and hospitality, even though our communication was difficult, and they gave me cookies and milk and a Chinese fruit roll-up treat. Shuzhene and Ziping tried to ask me when I usually go to work and it was so difficult explaining something as simple as how inconsistent my schedule is. Eagerly, they took down my number so they could call me and have me over for dinner in the future. As I got up to leave her strong little hands grasped my arms fiercely and she looked at me through her wrinkles, saying "I no have daughter, I have 2 sons...you good daughter...beautiful." Then she pulled me in to this bone-crushing embrace and kissed both of my cheeks repeatedly as if she were my own mother. They both came out onto the porch with me and waved until the foliage on their street blocked me from their view.

I was still laughing to myself when I got home 5 blocks later. Throwing my bag into the corner, I thought about how insane it had been at work and how it all seemed so far away, even though not even an hour had passed since I had clocked out. If there are more customers like that I can have the privilege of getting to know, people who are kind and unique and willing to befriend even a grocery cashier like myself, then I'll stick around for that. It'll make it a little easier next time I have to deal with Sorority Girl stupidity because I can grit my teeth and think of Shuzhene squeezing my knee a little too hard and speaking hopelessly broken and endearing English to me, and hoping that just maybe someone that loving and special will be the next person I get to help.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not quite sure how, but I found this post by chance. I am a Giant Eagle Cashier/coordinator and I know absolutely what you say. It's like listening to myself talk about work. I feel your pain! Stay strong :3

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und