Skip to main content

Smells Like Summer

I've started the good habit of getting outside and going for a jog every other morning, and boy can I tell you what a world of difference it makes for the rest of my day. In using more energy early in the day, for some reason I feel like I have more of it later in the evening. I love it.

Since I took my last final and the Red Cross sucked out a pint of my blood yesterday, I just went for a walk this morning. And every morning I realize how much I love where I live, especially because every street is drenched with the signs of summer. Crossing a bridge on Indianola I noticed the steps that go down into Glen Echo park and, heck I don't have anything to do today, so on a whim I went down, away from the traffic and the early humidity.

Wow. The things God makes for us. Dark green light was everywhere as the sun filtered through the leaves onto the gravel path and I was overwhelmed with that summer morning scent - you know, that sweet smell of evaporating dew and cool bark? Immediately I felt cooler and more alert as I continued walking, watching sunbeams skid off the surface of the creek and into rocks and pale green grass. I took a detour up the hill and followed a path I know leads to the railroad tracks and just stared down that far off line until it disappeared into the sky. I spread my hands as I jogged back down the hill, relishing the cool waxy touch of the trillions of leaves around me.

I passed a mother on the way back with her 4 small children, one trundled up in a backpack and happily chewing his safety strap. The other 3, all under the age of five, took the greatest delight in throwing pebbles into the river. I stopped to watch and visit, their small chubby hands trying to find the biggest rocks they could handle and then creeping up to the water's edge to throw them in. The little boy loved to throw a lot of smaller rocks all at once - he seemed to like that he got more splash for the price of one toss.

After I had left the park and was only a few blocks from home, I took my favorite way. There's this one strip of houses on an incline who have turned their front lawns into horticultural competitions and I love to watch the life and color change day by day. One house had something bright and purple creeping up one of the posts on their front porch, and I could've sworn the house was built of a living thing. The blossoms hung wide and heavy over the steps, as if waiting to kiss someone's face.

I'm not in Suburbia. I'm not in the best of neighborhoods. Sometimes I have creepy neighbors. But you'd be surprised how often I meet wonderful neighbors, how often I see beauty in a neighborhood with a reputation like mine.

By the way...I'm moving. Again. This will make the third time this year, but this one looks like it should be longer. We've picked out the house, and on July 1st I'm moving with my current roommates, picking up three others, and we're going to live on a street only six or seven block east of where I am now. And my new street? Dead ends right into the park I went walking in this morning.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heather,
I always enjoy reading your blog. Your use of words and descriptions make me feel as though i'm there. All of your words always seem to flow together like silk. Looking forward to the next post!

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und