Skip to main content

So...He Said It

Expect me to be blogging more now that I have here, cradled in my lap, my cousin's old Apple laptop (cue angel choir). After exactly one year of independence (I moved out on September 17th 2006) with an old mutt desktop that never really got to have a prime time of life before it passed it, I now have a damn good computer. Brian, since he just bought a newer better computer, deigned to give me his old laptop. I couldn't care how old it is as long as it does what I need it to, and man does this baby get the job done and more. I don't know how to handle all this sudden access to the internet.

Introductory ramble aside, let me get to the real point of this blog - to catch you up on other things far more important. For starters:

Let it be known that on September the second two-thousand-and-seven on the bench on walkway number eleven-thirty-seven at Holden Beach, North Carolina David McCray told me he loved me for the first time in words.


That's just the kind of thing that deserves a formal declaration in bold and bigger font, especially because I had to date him two years two months and twenty-two days to hear it. We had just gone on a triple date with two of my roommates and their boyfriends, even though he wasn't feeling very well. He treated me to a nice fish dinner with the world's slowest waitress, we played putt-putt at a course with a scummy moat and big plastic zoo animals, and then asked if he could talk to me alone afterwards.

We walked out to the bench and sat down and he poured out his heart into a list of compliments a mile long. Then he paused. "I want to tell you something," and popped a cough drop in his mouth, staring out over the dunes and walkways. I had a feeling...but that feeling had been wrong a couple times before. Continuing to look alternately between his hands and into the distance he said, slow and matter-of-fact, "I prayed about this before and felt like I shouldn't say anything, but I didn't get that feeling this time...so, I just wanted to let you know...that I love you." He turned to face me as the words struck and then sunk in, fireworks fizzling in my gut and spreading their sparkle out to my fingertips and toes. I grinned so wide I felt as though the corners were off the boundaries of my face, then the emotion overwhelmed me and the tears welled up, words some barbaric notion I could not fathom trying to butcher the moment with. Laughing a little, I asked him to say it again. And this time, looking me straight in the eyes, calm and certain, he said "I love you." He held me as emotions and joy rocketed around my body and bruised my insides; for the next hour we would say it over and over again to each other, delighted by its novelty. I insisted it was important when he laughed a little at me because we'll never have a first night for saying I love you ever again.

I would wait another two years two months and twenty two days for that night - the value it had from maturing over time was an incredible gift.

Don't worry - more to come soon! (as in, less than two months...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l