Skip to main content

Because Tracts Lead So Many to Christ...

My boyfriend likes guns. Not for hunting, so fanatics hold onto your red paint cans, but for the enjoyment he gets out of them as both a boy and and as a mechanical engineering major. The boy in him loves the "bang!", the ME major loves that it's a machine. And, as everyone knows, everything comes back to guns. Like politics? Comes back to guns. The number of times I've heard that boy lament that Democrats will get into office and guns will be all but flatly illegal...

And then I heard this comment in a movie. A bad movie, but a funny line. Ben Stiller and his father are New York-natives looking for this women Stiller fell for in Oklahoma and his father cautions him, "We're in Bible belt country now, people here have guns!" Yeah, conservatives like guns, and Oklahoma is Republican to my understanding.

I saw Dave for a few minutes tonight, and he tore open a package he had just gotten in the mail. I asked if it was a gun part (which is a rhetorical question). But with the item, the sender had thoughtfully placed a cheesy little Bible tract. I laughed hard at that.

We like guns. We are conservative Republicans. Get to know Jesus.

...

This is what dating a gun-loving mechanical engineering student will expose you to. And it is marvelously unexpected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l

Mixed Feelings

So I got a message from what I thought was a former friend. I really don't have any idea what the hell he is right now, or how I should respond to him. He and I used to be the closest of close, and then he got in a bad mood and shut me out. A little while later, we picked stuff back up again after a tearful and apologetic reunion. A few months and one ruined practical joke later, I became a scapegoat and he shut me out again. That hurt - mostly because I felt wrongly accused. I haven't heard from him since, and suddenly he's trying to connect with me again, claiming a change in heart. I have a hard time believing him - that was what he said last time. If you're reading this, I'm not doing this to spite you, but to process you and get advice from my friends. Can you blame me for not knowing what to do with you exactly? He sent me a message through facebook and then told me about a pivotal blog entry he had - I read it, and now I'm interested in at least one conve