Skip to main content

The Currency of Life

In "The Last of the Mohicans", there is an extraordinarily compelling scene. A handful of captured colonials are brought before the Huron indian Sachem (the wise man) to have their fates judged. Their captor has a debt of life owed by these colonials, so the Sachem rules that one girl will be sacrificed to settle the debt and her sister and their friend Major Duncan may go free. Duncan, shown previously to be honorable, but jealous and a kiss-ass, does an incredible thing. Given a check for freedom, he volunteers freely to trade places with the condemned girl, a life for a life. He is stretched over a fire to burn to death, having to now settle the debt that only a life given, not just generously offered, could have fulfilled. What struck most forcefully was Duncan's recognition of the currency of his life and a willingness to pay that price when necessary.

This theme of sacrifice of life dogs the steps of impactful literature. In Mark Twain's Tale of Two Cities, when one of a pair of look-alikes must die, Sidney Carton makes the decision to cash in his life instead. In Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, when young stupid Edmund makes a wrong choice that demands a payment of life and the great lion Aslan steps forward and writes that check for Edmund with his own life. When the just God of the Bible demanded the unpayable debt of all humans to be paid, His son the carpenter spends a couple of perfect decades in the Middle East and then emptied his account for their sake.

What is it about this currency of life that is so compelling, so gut-wrenching? Why is the willing sacrifice of life such a thing that it grips us so we may not look away?

Humanity has always been fascinated by the value of life, and given it the utmost value. When someone loses their life, we call it "paying the ultimate price". In ancient times and ancient religions, sacrifice of life was the only thing powerful enough to breach that barrier to the realm of the immortal. Yahweh asked for spotless lambs; Aztec gods wanted virgins; Molech held his brazen arms out for infants. Life has always had a high, even transcendent, value.

Why?

What is it about life that is so valuable? Perhaps that, for each being, they only have a single life to give?

The currency of life can be used to fulfill many ends; one is strategy, for example sacrificing a bishop in chess to win, showing a heirarchy of values. Some things are more important than life (such as pleasing the gods or saving another). Another end is justice; why did the ancients cut the throats of so many lives on so many altars? To be justified. They understood that in order to get the rains to come, in order for the crops to grow, in order to be thought right with God, there was a price to pay. And what was more precious than life?

But what a wearisome cycle! Eons of lives, our highest form of currency, spent on stone altars under whispered petitions, and the rains don't always come and the crops don't always bear fruit and there is still something wrong between us and our God. All these installments, these payments, on a debt seemingly infinite or capricious.

Where are the funds that satisfy? What is that last best sacrifice?

When Abraham was poised over his young son with a knife to sacrifice, a voice from heaven spoke of a suitable substitute. 

We mortals have spent so long trying to breach and bridge the barrier to the immortal for so long with the little supplies we have. What if, beyond hope, the barrier was breached from the opposite side and the immortal came to us?  We seeing only the mounting and insufficient cost of our best efforts, what if the being we sacrificed life after life to reaches into his back pocket and opens his wallet and pays the debt that he awakened the guilt for in us?

How would we respond?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und