Skip to main content

Side Effects Include:

There are many recipes of things that potentially lead to feelings of happiness. It is the most impossible thing to cook if everyone is right – it takes an enormous number of ingredients and an unbelievable amount of hours spent cooking and preparing, and in the end seems to boil down to sheer circumstantial luck in the end. Not to mention the people around you and their moods, too, complicating the whole process and offering no guarantee.

            Happiness could theoretically be comprised of a healthy diet, a skinny body, the perfect dessert, several hours a week exercising, more sleep and longer naps, more money, better people, nicer in-laws, jobs with more fulfillment, families with less stress, increased leisure time, free concerts, 3 weeks every month away on vacation, wild romance, free beer (free of hangovers and stupidity), unbreakable beautiful cars, removal of health problems, no more fights or arguments, increase in education, a bigger house than the Joneses, and no more death.

            But all these Vendors of Happiness didn’t bother to go back and edit their flyers. Think of all that work: I measure 8 hours of sleep a night and an hour of jogging and sit-ups every day, then I still have to count my calories and pack my lunch for my 7th year of college as I earn my PhD to be a psychologist in Honolulu so I can have the money to get me the Ferrari and waterfront property with 6 bedrooms, and I can’t forget to be planning the big perfect dream wedding with champagne fountains for after I graduate. And by the time I run my mile and have my smoothie and write my dissertation and go to the car dealership and mail my wedding invitations and put down my down payment and have my professionally-baked slice of tiramisu, I’ve forgotten why in the world I’m running myself ragged doing all this stuff.

            The scenario is obviously unrealistic and simplistic, but I find myself in similar fruitless hamster wheels to achieve happiness. I’ll wake up one morning and decide I don’t feel good because I don’t exercise enough, by lunchtime I’ve decided it’s because I’m worried about my paycheck being too slender this month, and when I crawl into bed I conclude that it must be because my apartment is too small and messy.

What few people make known is that happiness is a side effect, not an achievement. And that it’s all about one thing rather than the accumulation of many, that one thing being gratefulness. Happy that I may walk in health even if it isn’t perfect. Content that I can afford rent and more than enough food. At peace because my apartment is cozy and in a very good location.

The world we live in, it’s busted. It’s amazing and its beautiful, but it's sick and broken. And sometimes we suffer its symptoms. Which means the odds of our lives ever being perfect for any length of time is highly unlikely, so if our happiness hangs on the stars aligning for us in order to call ourselves happy....dude. Our lives are going to suck. 

Zoom in from the panoramic pessimistic view and focus on this moment; choose a ray of light to step into and bask in it. The bad isn't gone and the good may still be sparse, but count the pennies you do have and smile for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und