Skip to main content

In Defense of the Unpractical

Right about this time last year, Dave and I were sitting at a card table in the second story of his house on 12th Avenue making an attempt to whittle down our guest list.  We crunched the numbers together on Excel, both per head, and how much each head would cost to be there (food, cake, favors, beer, tablecloths...).  It was one of the more stressful days of our engagement, so we took a break to sit on the roof and watch a distant set of belated fireworks.  While we were out there, my pragmatic Dave had an epiphany.

"So...by the time we add up the cost of everything involved in the wedding, how much will that cost in comparison to the stuff that we get?"

I scuffed the shingles with my sandal.  "If you add up the bridal showers, bachelorette party and wedding presents together, we'll probably break even."

"How does that make any sense?  Why not just use the money we have to get the stuff that we need?  Why all the extra stress?"

I smiled and looked toward the miniature fireworks, unsurprised by the response.  In one sense the guy has a point, honestly.  But there's a deeply relational side to this extraordinarily elaborate tradition, something loving and healing and good.

After having a frustrating week, I went to a wedding on Friday.  It was a beautiful wedding, with warm air and cloudy blue skies, the bride's veil caught in the breeze.  One of my dearest friends was the maid of honor; she wore a royal blue dress and a pure grin.  It was the kind of wedding that gives you hope, that you really can believe has a chance of making it.

The reception was held in a refinished barn.  I could see kids playing croquet and frisbee outside as myself and other 20-somethings played jenga inside.  The decorations were beautiful, the cake was delicious, and we danced the electric slide twice.  Everything was perfect, from the maid of honor's toast to the dip at the end of the couple's first dance.  And as glad as they were to have us there, we were equally as happy to be there.

I sat at a table at the edge of the room after the ties had all been loosened and the sleeves rolled up.  As I talked with good people and watched them laugh together, I realized that a warm peacefulness had slowly replaced the strain of my frustration.  I wish I could've told my husband a year ago: this, these few moments of peace and joy, this is why we don't do it the practical way.  The wedding was never about the presents, it was always about the people.  We need to celebrate, we need parties.  To do nothing more than to hope and laugh together and give love to each other is such a healing exercise.  And I had needed to be there, to have that opportunity to simply be joyful and be healed.

So - thank goodness for impractical weddings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und