Skip to main content

Holy Spunk

I wore a uniform from my first day of 6th grade all the way through to my high school graduation.  For seven years, my only clothing options were a limited number of colored polo shirts, navy blue or khaki uniform pants, and a plaid skirt.  Technically I could've worn a jumper too, but the socially cognizant stopped wearing those the day they left the 6th grade.

Options to stand out were rather limited, and with that high school herd instinct, not many wanted to.  Even though we got to choose our own shoes and socks, there were a lot of girls wearing black Mary Janes and white knee highs those years in order to fit in.  I, however, chose my shoes specifically because of their uniqueness: a pair of purple Converse All-Stars.  It was my small way of defying the status quo.

Some people think the words "God" and "church" equate with losing your individuality, and a mandated rigid conformity.  If that were the case, I can say honestly that I would not still be here.  What I've instead discovered these past few weeks, as I've prayed more than ever before, is that my spunk and self-confidence have both multiplied significantly.

For the past several weeks, my self-confidence had been declining as my anxiety was on the rise.  As I became more anxious, I became needy and clingy with Dave.  My emotions were on a hair-trigger, and the nights it got set off were late ones for Dave.  I was consistently self-conscious and asking for compliments.  I felt lost whenever he would have a bad day, and never wanted to disagree with him.  I felt increasingly depressed and I didn't slow down long enough to figure out why.

The first smart thing I did was stop over-scheduling myself.  I used the new-found time to cry (which I hated), to read, to write, and to pray.  I've never been good at praying, but I prayed a lot that week.  Probably more than any other week before.  And most of those prayers were pretty ugly; but at least I was praying.  

I had finally slowed down long enough to look down at my own feet, and I saw I was wearing those damn Mary Janes.  I had been striving to meet a status quo that wasn't mine to fulfill, trying to win approval from people who could not satisfy my anxiety, and hadn't been asking The Man In Charge what job He had just for me.  So I started praying more, and I started asking.

It really was the praying that made the difference, which surprised me, I think because I've never really understood it.  The more I prayed, the bolder I became.  I wasn't making decisions to make people happy; I was learning to separate my Self from their reactions.  

Dave and I spent yesterday together, and our interaction was vastly different than the past few weeks.  When Dave teased me about my clumsiness, I laughed along and teased back.  I was already happy and confident, and therefore not pleading for compliments.  When he got tired and slightly grouchy at the end of the day, I easily shrugged it off.  I wasn't depending on his reaction to define me.

Earlier this week, I confronted a friend on a minor disagreement.  Not only did I initiate that discussion, but I didn't need emotional reconstruction after my friend disagreed with me.  If the disagreement had come up a week earlier, I would've been paralyzed and said nothing.  But this time I myself was marvelously gloriously separate from their reactions, buoyant and resilient.  

Prayer had put my purple shoes back on, and God was commending it because they came from Him; He had given me a holy spunk.  Since I've been praying more, I have felt more whole and full of spark, bolder and steadier.  I've been anything but blending into the ranks or becoming monotone.  My roots are deeper and my colors are brighter and my voice is louder and my laugh is fuller since I've been praying. And that's what The Man in Charge is all about.

Comments

Tricia Jean said…
I learn so much from you.
~heather said…
:) I miss you very much

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und