Skip to main content

On The Bus

I have ridden the bus almost every weekday for the past four years.

I first moved out the fall of 2006 into a house 7 blocks from High Street. I would get up early, pack my bookbag for the average 15-hour absence, and plod downhill on Arcadia, past the football field and the high school, and the park area at the corner where the homeless people and drug users would sit on slatted benches and catcall at me. My cheerful rebuffs, and the nearby busy street, were always defense enough.

Rain, snow, and high humidity I would cross the street when the sign flashed into a little white man. Sometimes I'd jaywalk, bag thumping from my sprint, if the bus came rolling up too soon. I've always lived on the east side of High Street, and the northbound bus for my morning commute has, obviously, always been on the west side. There've been days I've watched my bus pass by less than 20 feet away just because I was on the wrong side of the street. Infuriating.


In 2006, I would drop six quarters in the change tower and shuffle to the back for my 30 minute ride. On warm days, if I wasn't by an emergency exit window, I'd palm the handle to bring in the sunshine and the breeze. Sometimes my seatmates were bearers of extreme BO, but not often.


I'd pull at the cracked yellow plastic of the stop cord after passing the Greek Orthodox Church, and the bus would lurch to a halt at the bridge before Nationwide Boulevard. There began the half-mile trek east along downtown's border toward Columbus State. I'd pass the Crowne Plaza Hotel and the line of blue taxis, the Somalian drivers on their cell phones or drawing on cigarettes as their vehicles idled. I passed by a restaurant in a narrow brick building - I always wanted to eat there but never did - and an outlying parking lot of the college. After one more major intersection, I was on campus. And then when I got out of class the hour-long process was reversed.

Over the past four years, I've worked at two different bus-accessible jobs and lived in 5 different bus-accessible homes. I've sweated in the summer when the bodies packed in, and I've shivered in the winter hunkered down on the metal bus shelter bench. I've never ridden any bus outside of the #2. And I've seen the fattest, weirdest, youngest, most chivalrous people during my many accumulated hours of commuting. They have brown eyes and wear straw hats and read romance novels and have dark moles on their cheeks. They sit next to me and tell me how their sister is cheating them, or bless me for reading my Bible. They give up their seats for the old women and listen to the stories the crazy men tell and yell to the driver if they see someone running late to the stop.

I have an internship this quarter, the first place I've needed to get to that I haven't been able to get to by bus. In our silver Taurus I battle through morning rush hour, dodging down side streets and speeding through yellow lights and swearing at the ones that turn red before I can run them.
And I think of riding down High Street, my attention between the open book in my lap and the blonde toddler making eyes at me from his mother's left shoulder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all