Skip to main content

Adaptation


This is Claire and her soon-to-be-husband Alan. Claire is one of my best friends and was my maid of honor. Her wedding is four days from today.

And for the last several months I've been convinced that her wedding day will mark the end of our friendship.

No, really. My paranoia is totally reasonable. Let me explain.

The year before Dave and I got married, two of my best friends got engaged. One was my roommate, one was a friend from high school. I was convinced I'd be a bridesmaid in both of their weddings. And the following June, I sat in the audience for both of those weddings. Since they've been married, I had some tea with my roommate, I had lunch with my high school friend, and I haven't spent time with either of them since.

That June was a difficult month for me. I phoned Claire bawling, asking between sobs, "Am I a bad friend? It *hic* must be something wrong *hic* with meeee!" She tenderly assured me that I am a good friend.

2 years later, Claire is, as of today, 4 days away from her wedding. And her engagement has had some rough parts for my husband Dave, because when I convince myself that my friendship with Claire has an expiration date the same day as her wedding, he gets to nurse me back to normalcy when I begin to hyperventilate.

You'd think this is the part where I tell you I'm not one of her bridesmaids. But that's not true - my Aunt Lori just hemmed 7 inches off a glossy black bridesmaid dress for me. Even though I'm one of her bridesmaids, I've still managed to convince myself that what happened to those friendships 2 years ago will happen with her and I the moment she leaves her reception in a cloud of rice.

My paranoia originally stems from those 2 weddings 2 years ago, but added into my madness is the evolution of our relationship. Our friendship began in November of 2007 when she became one of my roommates, and slept 10 feet away from me for the next 4 months. Our friendship began and was originally patterned while we lived together and had easy daily access to each other. And then came that day in early March when we didn't live together anymore. Obviously, our friendship had to adapt, and the changes tested our relationship.

I went down to Texas the summer I was 21, shortly after getting engaged, to visit my favorite aunt, my dad's oldest sister Diann. And several times I heard her describe a woman in Canada as someone she's very close to because she talks to her on the phone at least once a week. She told me this when I lived with a house full of girlfriends I was constantly spending time with, and I quietly thought it was ludicrous that she could claim to be "close" to someone through phone calls alone.

But now I'm married. And I don't live with Claire anymore. And we're both extremely busy. So I've started the Aunt Diann technique and try to call her once a week when I'm at the grocery store.

It was difficult figuring out what changes our friendship needed to go through - I was used to seeing her almost every day, and now I only catch a quick glimpse of her at church once a week if I'm lucky. It frustrated me. I wanted to sit on the kitchen counter together sipping Crystal Light late at night. I didn't like that I couldn't have that anymore, and despair of change met past paranoia when she got engaged this past spring.

But now, 4 days from her wedding, what I wildly predicted to be our expiration date, I feel peaceful and assured. Our friendship isn't ending - it's changing. I can't expect it to stay the same, but I can hope it successfully adapts to our lives.

And I can see now what the problem with my friendships 2 years ago was: it wasn't that they got married (as I frantically hypothesized), and it wasn't that I wasn't a bridesmaid. The problem was that our friendships failed to adapt after their weddings.

Being a bridesmaid in Claire's wedding isn't what will preserve our friendship - loving tenacity and adaptability will keep us together. I can let go of late-night Crystal Light without letting go of Claire, and I can fight for new creative ways to stay close. And when it comes to Claire, I'm gonna show Darwin a thing or two about survival of the fittest.

And if I someday end up in Canada and she moves to Dallas, I'll call her once a week and tell my skeptical niece that she and I are still close friends. And just laugh when she raises an eyebrow at me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l