Skip to main content

The Problem of Evil

A few weeks ago, I sat up late with my landlady talking and drinking cheap moscato wine. Our two-hour conversation strayed all over, from stories about her Chilean upbringing to the story of how I met Dave. Halfway into our second glass, God and Evil wandered into the conversation.

She gestured with her wine glass toward the windowed walls, admitting that because of Nature's beauty she believes in God, but she has a problem with all the evil happenings in this world. She reached up with both hands and repositioned her glasses, and looking at me over the rims she told me story after story of the things she has seen: a single mother dying of cancer and living alone with her mentally handicapped son, friends' daughters raped, people shot. "How can I believe in a good God?" she asked, words slanted with her Chilean accent.

Every time this kind of question comes up in conversation I have the same answer. I swallowed a sweet mouthful and replied, "It's the cost of free will." This answer is the only thing that gives me comfort, to me the only thing that makes sense of both a good God and an evil world: free will. Since I was nearing the bottom of my second glass and nearing my limit, I can't remember what exactly I said. But I know I talked about the two options this world had: we could've been programmed like robots to love and do good, or been allowed the real freedom to choose right or wrong. The problem with Good Programming is that no choice is truly yours (Would you like an apple or an apple?); the problem with Real Freedom is that our bad choices have bad, sometimes horrific, consequences. A very long time ago, God decided that this cost of being able to choose evil was a worthy price for free will. I admitted to my landlady that it is a terrible thing that such evil is here, but this must be somehow better than the alternative.

The conversation wandered to more innane topics from there, and I got back to my apartment a little tipsy some time after midnight. I went to bed, a few days passed, and I didn't think much more about the conversation.

At work, I try to read a little bit of the Columbus Dispatch online while I'm eating my lunch. About three weeks ago, I inadvertantly began following a story about 4 missing people in the town of Mount Vernon about an hour away from where I live. As days ticked by, and the missing persons remained missing, the story quickly rose to the daily cover. Each day only had details about how Knox County was still trying to find them; the reporters tried to write the same story three different ways, each day having a little less hope for the 2 women and the 2 children.


Four days after the four went missing, the Dispatch ran a story of how the 13-year-old girl, Sarah, had been found bound and gagged in the basement of a house within walking distance of her mother's home. Authorities arrested a 30-year-old man, Matthew Hoffman, on charges of her kidnapping. Sarah had been found, but her brother, her mother, and her mother's friend remained missing.

The days started to tick by again. 300 people from the community intensify the search. Monday passes, Tuesday passes, Wednesday comes and the people of Mount Vernon are still searching. Somewhere in there, authorities report that Hoffman's records show he purchased a plastic tarp. And then Thursday, the eight-day mark, I get to the Dispatch site and see the word "TRAGEDY" in the headline: the three bodies were found. Details came in jagged bits and pieces: Hoffman had told the police where to find the bodies...the three had been stabbed to death and then dismembered before being dropped in pieces into the top of a hollow beech tree...after the bodies were removed, men in the Ohio Department of Natural Resources cut down the beech tree on Friday.


Last Saturday Dave and I were in Delaware at the outdoor shooting range. You have to purchase a range pass (either for the year or the day) from a gun store before arriving, and then give it to the guy from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources at the range. Around 5, after 2 hours of shooting, we were packing up and signing out and began talking to the ODNR range facilitator. He said he was grateful that Friday had been a late day for him - had he been scheduled in the morning, he would've had to help chop down the hollow beech tree.

Dave and I saw our landlady later that night, and we talked about the story and exchanged what details we knew. Terrible saddening details.

She bid us goodnight after visiting for 30 minutes on the basement steps, and after she went back into her apartment I remembered the conversation that she and I had. I remembered what I said about free will, that it's better to allow choice and evil rather than to program love.

Is free will really worth it? Is it worth this?

I remembered what the range facilitator had told us, that the two women and the little boy had been dismembered by a chainsaw.

Is free will really worth the price?


I know I'm asking questions too big for me to answer.

So I have to trust.

I have to trust that God knows better than I. I have to trust that my microscopic perspective can't understand what I'm questioning. I have to trust that a robotic world without free will is worse than this.

I have to trust that God is right. And remember that the police rescued Sarah. That not all is lost.

Comments

sfm4 said…
You are exactly right about this. When people ask me, "Why do bad things happen to good (or innocent) people?" my reply is "It is the consequence of choice: either my own choice, others' choice, or the original choice by Adam and Eve in the Garden." We have the power to choose, but we do not have the power to determine the consequences of our choices. Sadly, many choices adversely affect others even more than ourselves.
Does this mean God is pro-choice? (Of course, not talking about the abortion issue!)
Thee-Apoth'. said…
Wrong, Choice is not the root of evil and evil is not a necessity for free will. Bad things can happen from ignorance in people and their choices. Evil is when one knows the correct or at least a better choice and selects the wrong one intentionally. Without being allowed to choose wrongly on purpose, we could still have our free-will and enjoy life. The difference is that such a free-will would actually be worth loving and having pride in. The current one "we all adore" is not worth holding in high regard. When people say life is not fair, I say it is people and their evil that create unfairness. Nature favors the strongest and humans should prize the strongest. Since our brain is our prime advantage, the smartest people should be favored in our system. Not the whiniest or funniest or richest (as far as money is concerned). Those that are the best at making decisions to solve and prevent problems are the best among us. I do not need evil to remind me what is good or make me "feel alive". That is a weakness in you normal people. Also I have found that nearly all people are quite bad when you dig into their life or truly know them. That "innocent woman" shot in the news footage could be involved in drugs, child slavery, embezzlement, stealing parking spots, slandering to obtain a promotion etc. "Innocence" is either a myth or a term for people characterized by crimes others consider excusable only because the misdeeds are common and normal people become desensitized easily. People that need attention, are lazy, are greedy are super common; Those qualities are also the source of nearly all wrong-doing in the world, and all of time. People need to truly mature in huge percentages to rid Earth of significant levels of evil. People like myself are such, but most have little in common with us, most are bad. It is too easy to have a "I don't care/I don't give a fuck attitude. It is ever popular among the young aka generally dumb ages and is spreading to old folks that want to seem "cool" by copying stupid kids and mainstream media. A robotic world as one put it, world by definition be surely better as robots are generally correct and efficient. If correct is tied to your sense of boredom then you are a heavily flawed creature and also need to look up and UNDERSTAND the definition of 'boring'. Additionally the world is not gray. All is black and white...
IF... you have enough knowledge of any situation. Viewing things as gray means that you are not experienced or naturally intelligent to the level required to deserve to have an opinion about something. Of course all opinions are not equal, as someone will have more facts on their side than all others. I decided as a young boy to not have opinions in any matter until I acquire all the facts I can possibly attain from at least 3 sources but usually 5 or more. Thus I have Factinions not mere opinions which most people gain from feeling or copy from a friend, family member or a single news story or chance read article. Yet, they argue their unfounded opinions vehemently out of foolish pride and ego. Nietzsche and a couple Greek philosophers spake (sic) of the "superman" which was free of the main vices I have listed above. I have done so and if others are willing to spend time to study, actually think and know the workings of people and how to actually make the best of all possible worlds -Utopia- we would have it. Normal people however, have chosen to fit in at home or school or some displaced group and as such will be no better than others now or before their time, which they should see as "our" time.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l