Skip to main content

Down to Business

I will probably never blog here with the same faithfulness that I used to. However, that does not mean that I'm not writing.


In fact, I've started a small business:


(Thanks to my father for designing the logo)

The business is simple: as my website quips, it's "designed to preserve the irreplaceable life stories of people in written, audio or video form."


You see, my grandmother passed away a year ago this month. And, as I have previously posted, I am (very slowly) working on a book-size project that snapshots my family in the weeks around her death.


But the timing of her death led to this idea for my business. You see, she died before I could really sit down with her and record her life stories. We had even planned to do it the summer before she died, but it didn't work out. I regretted that deeply when she was gone.


I want other people to be able to keep their heritage, their inherited stories, and I don't want their possible lack of time, equipment or skill to keep them from doing that. And I have the skill and heart for just such a thing. So, I've fumbled my way into a business, step by awkward step. It's the whole nine yards, too, with an LLC license from the Secretary of the State, a website, a business account, all of it. I've been stumbling around in the dark, one domino leading to the next, and having a lot of fun grappling with the creation of a business - something I never ever thought I would do. But the challenge has been delicious.


I may update here infrequently as the mood strikes me, but I won't be attending to this blog with my previous regularity (even as irregular as that was). However, if you are looking to read my writing, I have started to keep a blog on the website. Every couple of days on the Memories in Print blog, I have been posting some of my favorite family stories, both for fun and as an example for the website. It is a different and more narrow focus than what was here, but it is writing nonetheless.


The website is:



Go there. Read me. Hire me. Or ignore me. You are, of course, free to do what you want.


And if you never come here again and if you never go there ever, let me say thank you for being here at all. The knowledge of you being out there, caring to read what I wrote, made the writing easier. There is a lot of content in the wide world to read, and you chose to spend your limited time reading mine. Thank you for that gift.

Comments

Sheri said…
I've begun following Memories in Print. What a great idea for a business. You truly are gifted and I enjoy reading whenever and whatever you write.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und