Skip to main content

Armageddon

There was one CSI episode (no idea which city it was in, though, there's way too many to remember) that captivated me. A very young female investigator helped in the case of a murdered 19-year-old girl. Of course, in the end they caught the perpetrator, but on physical evidence alone. They could not find a shred of motive for him to do it. In the interrogation room, she looked at him and asked "Why did you do it?" Remaining silent, already convicted beyond rescue, he called out to be retrieved, that he was done talking to the detective.

Then, a week later, she came down to the prison, a haunted glow in her face. She arranged for him to come down to the phone booths, and he started with an ugly twisted smile when he saw who it was. Pressing the handpiece tight to her ear, she pleaded with him on the verge of tears "Please...I need to know why you did this..."

Lacking emotion except for the hint of a self-gratifying sneer, he said "You came all the way down here for that?" Placing the phone back in the cradle, he got up and walked away, leaving her to be haunted by her faceless demons.

......

There are just some things that we'll never get a chance to understand in this life. Things we throw money and time and emotion at to protect and understand it. And whoever the person is or whatever the problem is, sometimes they hang up the phone and you're left with the loose ends of their life in yours and no where to anchor them for understanding. And for some people, like me, not knowing and being helpless is the most torturous and frustrating feeling every emotioned into existence.

But why? Why do we need to know? What comfort could we possibly reap from an understanding though it changes nothing and reroutes no mistakes? Maybe it's that last-ditch instinct to try and something, that maybe, just maybe, if I knew...I could make it right.

I'm not trying to compare my distress on an equivalent to a loss of life, nothing like that. But that image, that message, hangs with me because of the starkness and honesty of it. I would like to say I have no regret, and am known to say it anyways when asked...but the thing I regret is not knowing that Why answer. I want to know, I want to make connections, I want to explain it right into oblivion and forgetting. Yet I do not have the luxury, and it's like a thorn in my side.

I make no apologies for what I did. I review my past actions and don't find myself in the wrong with this particular person. The details go in circles and are unnecessary to relate or dwell on, but that's what baffles me most. Maybe I'm being unobjective and vain. Maybe this will "build character" or whatever the older people in our lives say it will do. Maybe I'm completely blind to a major character flaw I have. But I would hope if I had one that i would hear more about it than from a parting shot.

But I've learned something so far. It's one of those things that I've heard and read half of my life but have yet to own. I do not have to justify myself to him. Other more respected people in my life tell me something completely different about who I am and are in harmony with one another. His is not the standard I have to live by; I'm trying, and often failing, trying to follow Christ. And here's a test He has put in front of me. I've done enough and now it's time to open my hands and let him take the dangling ends of this boy's life in mine.

the boy may have hung up the phone, but I'm ok with that. The prison walls are behind me and there's a fresh day and life ahead of me. And I want to live it fully and unburdened.

So that's exactly what I'll do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
holy shit heather. did dave dump you? did one of your friends totally move on? is heather dow a friend? AAH!


If it was dave, i'll fuckin' kill him.







call me.



~your cousin
Anonymous said…
Wasn't me. Either way, I'm pretty well armed, you'd have a hard time at it ;) I am just as clueless on this one as you are.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und