Skip to main content

Insomnia

I pride myself on my ability to sleep in an infinete number of situations and places. Everything from consistent comfort on airplanes to complete out cold-ness on a sheet on a hospital floor.

And here I am at my dad's fiance's and I can't feel tired for the life of me. A comfy bed, a TV with channels that go higher than I can count at this time of night, and a laptop with internet. And I can't fall asleep.

When we first arrived in Perrysburg I told Robin I had a craving for fruit, were those cartons of strawberries on the counter up for grabs, I am a shameless craver right now. Turning her back to me she opens the fridge door and this light so bright and pure emanates from it so that I can't look into it. As I'm averting my eyes from whatever holiness is in her fridge, I sense the light shifting and as I look into Robin's outstretched hands I see...a pound of cherries.

First off, I love cherries. Passionately. Second, I work at a grocery store so I know what the going price is these days. If you put your hands together and cupped them then filled them with cherries you would be holding the equivalent of ten dollars in the world of produce. Oh. My. God. I now double check with every customer before I sell them, pointing to the screen and inquiring tentatively "You do know they're this expensive, right?" That trend started after this lady bugged out in my line because I couldn't control the economics of produce. Um, sorry? So now I ask every time.

I scuttle off with the container with an awed whisper of "Robin, you're a diva" and dive back into my book, her ankle-biting dogs yipping at my heels (my dog could finish them off in two bites a piece and would be lucky to taste them on the way down). I've finally caved and read The DaVinci Code. I had two chapters and the epilogue left when we pulled into the driveway; in Dan Brown world, that's a maximum of ten pages. KILL ME. There was no hope for it, but it seemed that reading by the light of my cell phone for over two hours had affected my scorching average WPM. At that point of climax, and at this point post-Code, I'm disappointed that it didn't really live up to its ENORMOUS hype, not much at all. But still, reading the end of a book with a lapful of cherries? At least if the book sucks I can savor the juices of the delicacies worth their weight in gold.

I'm just settling in, getting into my pace, when dad tells me to pack up the cherries and finish the book upstairs. Aw...come on! Not the cherries, take the book instead! Disgruntled, I gathered up my bookbag packed to bursting and dumped my junk in my soon-to-be-stepsister's room. And then I had to remove...lemme see...8 pillows from her bed (she's not here tonight so I get the run of her bedroom) and then start the hunt for the remote. No remote. Ooo - a remote! Nope...no batteries...Hey! Another one!...it has batteries but it doesn't work anyways. Click. Click. CLIIIIICK. Nothing.

If I distract myself on the internet for a while, putzing around blogs and getting goosebumps from scary movie trailers (I know I'm pathetic - if only you could see me in the middle of a scary movie...good luck finding me under the covers is all I can say, ask my sister if you don't believe me) maybe I'll zonk out. Nothing. Not a single "Z" in my thought bubble.

Wanting to drag out the climax of the book in hopes of increasing the enjoyment of the end, I had put off the act of finishing it. Well, maybe sinking into the down comforter with a decent book to finish will do the trick; there's always a certain satisfaction that comes after finishing a good book, so let's hope Dan Brown can end his book well, even if he lacks details outside of a functional plot (no big words - what fun is there in reading that?). But I don't like the ending. I don't know how I would have ended it if I had written it - granted, this isn't the thing I would even start to write, let alone finish - but I think it was very...anticlimactic. It was a resolution, yes, appropriate, yes...but very functional. Like the plot. *shruggs* not my thing in general.

Now I'm irritated. I want cherries. Give me cherries. Creeping out of the stuffy bedroom I make for the stairs, anticipating the cool sweet juiciness, the firm rich texture, the WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?! A sound rang out as I got to the middle of the staircase and I jumped back as though I had stepped on a small child. It even sounded like it, too. Then, accompanied by the sound of toenails on tile and short fast steps, other little sounds emanated from the gated-off kitchen; a trodden child, a squirrel being run over by a car, my cats catching sight of my boyfriend coming after them with a mischievous glint and other such high-pitched spine chilling sound effects. Not a single good 'bark' out of the three of them combined. Defeated by the chorus of shrill ankle biters Munchkin, Wiggles and Carmen (or as I refer to them, Baby Oz, Alfred Hitchcock's experiment dog, and the rat-faced Pomeranian which deserves no nickname) I slunk back up the stairs.

Now I am without sleep, a good ending, or cherries. Keep the other two JUST GIMME THE CHERRIES!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh heather, I do love you. yes yes. much much love.



Da Vinci Code wasn't NEARLY as good as its precursor. Angels and Demons.


A+D is WAAAAYYYYYYY better.


you will enjoy. and if not, then you just suck.


haha, love you!

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all