Skip to main content

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time.

I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess.

I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better understood what I can expect from it. You should know that there are certain things you can't mention to your mom, and that specific subjects would be better discussed with your father, and things of that nature. I've established that Dad is an excellent spiritual leader, but mom is a much much more sympathetic and patient ear for the ramblings of her eldest daughter. I don't know why, maybe it's just my approaching Hormonal Week (ahem ahem - you should know what I mean...) but I just started pouring out confusion and emotions her way in one big mass of ugliness and incoherency. She listened with compassion written in the brown eyes I stole from her and suggested we run to Starbucks for some really good comfort food. Had it been Dad, the dissertation would have continued to try and better understand it; I needed a caramel frap and a cinnamon coffee cake more.

To sum up...my Valentine's Day has either been postponed or cancelled, I'm not sure which. Dave wracked his brains and decided on a game plan: trying to cook a certain recipe together (we are both monstrously bad omens in a kitchen, so maybe we'll cancel each other out) and a non-rose flower or two for me. I liked that idea. The morning of, though, he got in a fender bender that did a good job to the front of his car, and he spent a good portion of the day talking to his dad and getting insurance quotes and estimating the cost of a rental car and all that jazz. He came over to Dad's house, and he and I just chilled out, kissed a while, watched some silly video clips online and bumped into the WWII gun special on the history channel. I had just printed out a short gun dictionary (I got sick of him speaking to me in a foreign language) so I think I learned a fair amount about one of the loves in his life, which was pretty cool. When he called that morning to tell me the plans for the day were off, my disappointment filtered through the phone. He asked a couple times if I was mad at him, and I told him I wasn't, truly, I was just really diappointed and that stuff like this happens. Which is true, but...

Is it too much to ask for a letter now and again? Not even a letter, but a hand-written note? An email, even? His text messages are marvelous and they give me the drive to finish a long day, but they're so short and...easy, I guess, to be perfectly honest. I absolutely love it when he always opens doors for me and pays for my lunch and regularly texts and calls me and tickles me and transports me EVERYwhere and kisses me on the lips and cheek goodbye; I love that for our one month he got me flowers and cd's and that for our 6 month he went all out both financially and creatively and factored in my love for Christmas lights against his natural Grinch-ness and everything...but what about the inbetween stuff? The stuff that's more important than opening doors but less significant than a bouquet of flowers? Stuff that doesn't happen either daily or annually, but every once in a while as a pleasant surprise? Like a note, or a silly little gift, or making it a point to compliment the other a few times throughout the day, or just...inbetween stuff like that. Little things that aren't routine or expensive just to let the other person know that...you're in their thoughts, and more than just a fleeting image, but something about you they just can't get out of their head.

Like Dave's beautiful green eyes...and amazing shy turn-my-knees-to-jello smile...the spark in his face when he makes fun of me...the way his hair rumples right after taking his hat off...seeing him light up as he walks into Vance's to ogle rifles and handguns he'll never have...waving goodbye to me from his pathetically dented Ford Taurus every time he leaves...the words in that one sole letter from him 3 months ago reread a thousand and one times...

It's not that I don't appreciate everything he's done for me. It's just that I feel I need a little more...and I don't know how to ask.

You're the only one that leaves me completely breathless

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

Comments

Anonymous said…
of your wonderful musings, I have sever thoughts



one of which is that my heart absolutly melted in those last few paragraphs....that was sooo sweet...


another thought being that in this low period (yes I can tell that your guys are in a valley just by the way you wrote that...and I knonw you better than myself) I want to encourage you to be flexible and open to his opinions and thoughts


and a little throw out to your mom-she sweet and totally cool



sorry, just had to add that.






heather, David may be a real cool guy (who knows all of my nest moves and words...theif that he is...) but there is no perfect man. usually, there is the one who remebers the big stuff and loses the small stuff or vice versa. have yet to meet a guy to be able to cover both bases very well if at all




and heather, it sounds as if your dissappointment may have gotten to him


even though things went sour in terms of fruition of plans, he DID plan the thing. give him that credit. you never know, you may have crushed him; he may be the kind of guy like me that once he senses dissatifaction, he gets real crushed



just some of my thoughts H


and tell your dad that nana's gonna try and call and to bitch and comnplain; don't listen to a word of it
~heather said…
As always Brian, your insight saves the day. It's good to have a boy read this and understand ME completely and understand THE MALE MIND completely. You are such a gift to me - I should call you more, even if I am busy. :o)

Maybe he did sense my disappointment. That actually makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it. Thanks for your advice - invaluable as always my lovable twin :D

Love love crazy crazy love your way Brian! I'm off to climb out of our little valley!! :)
Anonymous said…
ya us guys sometimes arnt the brightest of all people, but we pay close attention to every sighn of an emotion....(especialy if we think we messed up)....So try not to hold it to him to hard cause he did try to do something. but the as the old saying goes "if u want to remember a special date ......forget it once" ;)

Over and out trukers,
~nate
Anonymous said…
ya and about th guns .....all rushan and german guns shoot as much as u can get to cause they "out preform" all jap and ammerican made guns (reliabilaty only)american guns are made for speed and accuracy and jap guns and good for trowing away.....lol just a redneks hints on "he first gun" *yawn* im guna go catch some shut eye and tell dave "nice 98k"

zzzz Over and out truzzzzzers
~:P nate
Anonymous said…
ya and about th guns .....all rushan and german guns shoot as much as u can get to cause they "out preform" all jap and ammerican made guns (reliabilaty only)american guns are made for speed and accuracy and jap guns and good for trowing away.....lol just a redneks hints on "he first gun" *yawn* im guna go catch some shut eye and tell dave "nice 98k"

zzzz Over and out truzzzzzers
~:P nate
Deb said…
Oh, Heather. I don't have any good advice. But I love how you think and analyze and write. I wish I'd had half your sense (and abilities) when I was your age.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all