Skip to main content

Bonding with my fellow HB

She's 6 foot even and I'm five-three short. I have dark straight hair she has lighter nappy hair. Freckles are sprinkled across her cheekbones while I have 2 moles, one on my right thigh and one on my right shoulder. I'm two years her senior age-wise and one year her senior academics-wise. What in God's name could we possibly have in common?

Sports and words. Do we play and write differently? Oh hell yeah. There are lightyears of difference. But over that span is a definete untouchable bond because more often than not we compliment each other. In sports she's the all-or-nothing player, who when she's on her game can spike the volleyball down the opposing team's gullet without even a chance at retaliation, or who can make that ball take off with flames licking its laces as it clears the fence with the sound of her bat still ringing in triumph. And when she's down and out, she's dangerous - a loose cannon is usually the best visual, loaded with power but unable to aim for a time. Me? I'm the one who gets that fraction of glory by setting up the ball for her massive spikes. I'm the one who can talk her down when she gets her shot at defense behind the plate because I know the spot backwards and forwards just like i know her backwards and forwards.

And words - as far as books go she's an addict for the classics: Wuthering Heights, Pride & Prejudice, Of Mice and Men...she simply can't get enough of the oldies but goodies. And it shows - she can be cuttingly brilliant and she's a thrilling conversationalist because she's a bit smarter than me and keeps me on my toes. I feel refreshed after sparring with her, because we both can naturally use multisyllabic and sometimes Olde English words without having to pause and explain the definition...it's a thrilling treat, it really is. And therefore, she can tend toward a more dramatic flair for expression, even describing writing once a "eulogy for her thesis" which I cackled about for God knows what reason, but it's with true hannah flair. I tend to be more optimistic and concise than her, but the difference makes the sparring all the better. how boring to try and argue with someone you always agreed with.

Last night was a rare sleepover at her house in which I managed to win ten dollars. How? She thought she knew "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" but oh my was she mistaken. She didn't believe me when I described the scene involving reference to a coin toss with sexual innuendo so now my wallet is ten ones fatter (she's a waitress). Competitive as she is, she wasn't thrilled, but mature woman she is, she got over and set up a bonfire with which to light our sparklers. Next to the flames, with last night's storm rising and coming in with great bravado, we asked each other questions about our lives and where we want to be and what we think will make us failures or successes.

Hannah let the fire burn to coals and sputter out with the first raindrops and went and laid in the grass. Lying down next to her, we laid on the grass for the better part of an hour as the rain came down. There was the first gentle sensation of the small initial drops, then the beginning of the onslaught dumped on us, followed by cold chills. With our eyes closed against the weather we could vividly see bright bursts of white through our eyelids whenever lightning would rend the sky. I felt like I wanted to brace for the next drop, to protect myself, but they were too many and they were coming too fast and I couldn't predict them, and why is my body tensed up if it's not hurting me? From there, we talked about the why behind self-preservation instinct all the way down to her concept of the "eulogy for her thesis" and just laid there. At one point we saw a firefly booking it across the lawn, flashing brightly in alarm, and right about the wooden fence the flashing disappeared and we can only assume is met a head-on collision that left its light a glowing smear on the grains of the wood. And then we talked about vanity and its emptiness. Pretty much everything, even of the two people who can get my blood from 98.6 to 107.12 in a millisecond of mentioning, in which we went inside and I got a warm bath and read Foxtrot comics.

When we retreated to the coolness of the basement for the night, I mentioned sleepily something about polishing off the M&Ms with a cold glass of milk but not having the energy to accomplish it just then. Ten minutes later i heard a crinkling of plastic and looking over the edge of the couch to see the bag and a mug of milk waiting for my pleasure.

Hence the definete bond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l