Skip to main content

The Time That Has Elapsed

So Dave and I went to the Goo Goo Dolls/Counting Crows concert this past Friday. Johnny Rzeznik was beautiful and high; the band was lovely and lazy but I got to see Johnny and hear him talk in his state of highness ("Is this that sweet shit that tastes like baby aspirin and vodka?") so I was content. That and they played all of my favorite songs, if not as well as their albums. The Crows surpassed them in terms of genuinity and energy. The lead singer still has this perplexed mass of dreadlocks settled atop his skull. The last song they played is Dave's favorite of theirs and he swayed (gasp!) and sang along (DOUBLE GASP!!) with them without any encouraging prods from his girlfriend who actually enjoys big group settings.

We were accompanied by Dave's two siblings, his 32-year-old brother Colin and mid-20-something sister Rina, making Dave the baby of the siblings. And what a bunch. Dave was positively Herculean when contrasted with his slightly built brother and sister and I just felt like being as soft as I am was somehow a crime or a genetic defect in this circle of DNA. While my siblings and I fill the extra minutes with bickering in the car or playing tic-tac-toe on napkins at the dinner table they believed in an unconsciously staunch quiet. When I laughed I felt loud and obnoxious because they are just not a group of laughers; I'm sure Dave would say I'm loud and obnoxious anyways (I know you were thinkin' it) but that's all right. I'll just have a long-suffering sigh and move on with life.

This said boy just left the house and i'm left to pack for my flight to Florida tomorrow. Erick and Natalie have been ESPECIALLY squirrely tonight and I dread the multiple-hour layover we've got in Chicago tomorrow evening. Like the sick sick feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach that knows scenarios involving enraged hair-ripping and screams and pouting children running off to hide from the group are bound to happen. I hope my grandmother doesn't mind me coming half-bald and hoarse...

It'll be a good week. I'll need to make some friends (and fast) while I'm down there, that and get in some driving time BY MY MYSELF (solitude capitalized purposefully) along the beach. I know, I'll be careful and I won't be stupid but I refuse to be hypnotized by the boob tube an obscene amount. I'll spend time missing Dave and alternately calling and texting him; I'll do a lot of reading and swimming and a LOT of tanning (I'm a sun sponge so it shoudn't be hard) and playing cards with my grandmother. Alot of stuff is missing now: the expectation of a dinner night at my great-grandmother's; the smell of Ginger the cocker spaniel and the feel of the soft spirals on her ears; the presence of my mother and father enjoying his one week off, all of us together. And then again, not all things have changed: like the smell of sun tan lotion in the guest room; the sound of my grandmother shuffling several decks of cards; breakfast with Grandpa Dee one morning of the week; the announcement that my grandma Margaret makes just when we get there that we're on vacation and can do whatever we want and just to let her know; the sound of one my siblings whimpering to call Daddy because he/she misses them; the smell and sound of the ocean at all stages and stenches; the feel of the carpet in the rooms on the soles of my feet...

...I am already there

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und