Skip to main content

Post-Bile

My days have never been packed so full, but also have I never felt so full of contentment as well.

Lately it feels like all my days are nonstop and my house is merely a place for storing food and crashing for a few hours between days. Typically, as unorganized as I usually am, my schedule falls apart and there's not enough time for enough things; however, necessity has taught me a little discipline and when I'm busy now I just feel like I'm using all the time God gave me.

Yesterday was one of those days. Out the door before 9 for the bus ride to school, I got to my first class early and studied. Then the hour between classes I rehearsed for a skit in theater with a guy whose partner had gone out of town, my rumbling stomach only pacified with a few pretzels. Then, during the mid-class smokers' break in my theater class (what is it about actors and cigarettes, anyways?) this girl in class starts talking to me. Really talking to me.

My housewarming party a few weekends ago entertained many guests, including several people from my theater class who either came messed up or came with their own stuff to get messed up with. One threw up all over the stairs outside of my bedroom. One came piss-drunk with a beer in one hand and enthusiastic hugs for everyone. But when I saw them in class the following Tuesday the girl who threw up gave me a candle and note in apology, and the rest apparently thought the party was a smashing success. Not that they remembered much, but at least what they remembered was good. It left room for me to become friends with them; I have wanted so badly to get to know these talented screwed-up firey theater people, full of wit and glamorous lies. I want to love them and, when they're ready, try and help them get somewhere better with their lives. I want to share this feeling of fullness I have with them instead of this passionate thrashing they live; I see their gifts, their energy, and want something better for them.

Then here I am in class, moments before the smoke break ends, and the girl who threw up on my stairs, this crazy girl with big dreams, starts talking to me. Out of nowhere she talks about this book she's reading, that she feels something is missing, that she's going to start going to church again. I almost choked on my pretzel, feeling the blast of the opportunity, and started trying to gauge where she was spiritually and how God could use me to help her. Of course, the instructor picked up class again and I wanted to scream as attention shifted from this incredible openness.

I asked her to give me a ride home and brought the subject up again - and we talked all the way to my house. And then I invited her inside and we kept talking. I had to resist pinching myself every five minutes just because I couldn't believe what was coming out of her mouth, what was happening. God had been gently loving her and pursuing her since Catholic school, and here this girl is in my house telling me how she believes that God put me in her life to help her change and pursue him back. I had prayed for opportunities to talk to these people but never envisioned anything like this happening on my futon. She left shortly after, with a hug and an expressed desire to talk and hang out more, and I laughed and laughed at the beauty of the drizzly day.

An hour later I had done laundry, washed dishes, and walked to work. After work, I went and played pool with my friends. One of the guys there, when he overheard me screeching "It's like CHRISTMAS!" to one of the girls, came over with a knowing smile and asked "I heard Christmas - does that mean you had a good talk with someone?" I rode home with an ex-roommate and scheduled a time to hangout with her, filling up another jam-packed day for later in the week. I got home and tried to get some of a reading assignment done but gave up shortly before one.

As I pulled off my slush-ridden boots and deadbolted the front door, I felt happy. Curling up under my covers, I felt sleep come over me like a warm blanket. Some nights I have trouble resting, but last night I was treated to a full night's sound sleep after a fulfilling day. When I woke this morning, I was refreshed and ready for the next thing.

This is the kind of sleep I want my classmates to be able to have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l