Skip to main content

Laughter After Auschwitz

The other night Dave and I stayed up late to watch an hour-long show on PBS titled "Swimming in Auschwitz"; it was a compilation of interviews of 6 different women, and since it ran without commercials, Dave and I were sucked in until the end. Each of the women lost one or more family members in their stay at the camp; all had an admirable composure and dignity in retelling their stories, and one of the women was even able to recount some of her memories there with laughter. Laughter.

Something I have been learning to appreciate more and more lately are the loving and good-tempered elders in the world. You know who I mean, the people one or two or three generations ahead of us who care about others and are genuinely good-natured. I think they are so precious because they seem to be markedly rare. In my growing appreciation for such people I also have been obtaining a growing knowledge about how hard living is; that gratitude, of all the disciplines, gets more difficult with time; that a playful spirit can so easily be shriveled up by daily responsibilities; that as personal injustices heap up over the years the temptation to turn inward and care only for oneself grows in strength; and that as you see more of your dreams clearly slip through your fingers your hope and imagination can easily fade.

Early in the show the women were describing their arrival to Auschwitz and the process of their individuality being taken away. First their luggage was thrown into a pile and they were told they would never see it again. Then came the 2 lines everyone was filtered through, the able-bodied to the showers and the grandparents and child to the chimneys. At the showers, they were separated into men and women, and then were each instructed to take off all of their clothes including their underwear. Naked, their heads were shaved and then they were thrown a different unfamiliar set of clothing. One of the women ended up with 2 left shoes; one of the mothers ended up with a stranger's ballgown thrown at her to wear in this dismal muddy place. As one of the women relayed the memory she began to giggle as the ridiculous image came back to her, their heads shining and bald in these ludicrous outfits that made each of them nearly unrecognizable. She said all the women in the shower were howling with laughter, partly to relieve tension, but also because they all looked so silly. "It's not really funny," the old Jewish woman chuckled as she wiped away tears of mirth.

Amazing. She laughed in innocence before she knew the suffering she was about to endure. And decades later, after living through those years of dying and starving and shivering and injustice, she was still able to laugh. She was not only able to laugh after 50 humdrum years of paying bills and mowing lawns and going to work, she was thriving and laughing when life had given her the worst. With every reason to be destroyed by bitterness this woman had kept a precious sense of humor. 

This gives me hope. Working at a grocery store for 3 years, I've had enough run-ins with old people who've grown up to be grouchy to know that I don't want to be that way when I get to be their age. But is it just an unavoidable side-effect of age? You have to wonder when you bump into enough bad-tempered grandparents. This woman's laughter, however, gives me hope that there's a choice in the matter...and it's no secret that it's not an easy choice. Life does what it can to beat you down, and sometimes its blows are bone-breakingly heavy. But the fact that among those who suffered the very worst are women who have come out yet laughing can lead me to no other belief than their remarkable power to choose against destructive bitterness.

Watching these women tell their stories, I wished that I would be able to make the choices necessary to mature me into a lady as graceful and good-natured as those 6 women.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Heather
I am the director of the film that you mentioned in this post. One thing that you said really struck home when you mentioned that you worked at a grocery store. One of the original concepts of Swimming in Auschwitz was to have present day footage of these women in their 70's and 80's doing life's mundane jobs, such as checking out at a grocery store. How often have we all stood next to someone without any concept of that person's life history? Instead we judge simply on the most obvious trait, physical appearance. There are tremendous individuals all around us if we only take the time to notice.
Thanks for your astute observations about the film.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und