Skip to main content

The Problems of Pleasure and Imperfection

I had been up since seven that morning, which, since I should've been out of bed by 6:30, meant that I had been running late all day. Running behind stresses me out, and as any girl can testify a hormone-stress cocktail is volatile if allowed to mix, and I could feel the spoon stirring inside of me. Even though I was running late to dinner with a friend on campus, as an act of prudence I changed course and sat next to Mirror Lake for 5 minutes to calm down.


I sat in the grass and watched the fountain, waiting for the emotions to settle. Then along comes a happy couple of ducks waddling along the edge of the lake toward me pecking at the grass for food. Their boat-shaped hips swayed awkwardly from side to side as their flourescent- orange pancake-thin feet slapped the stones; I noticed the disproportionally pompous curled feathers at the tail of the male and began to laugh out-loud. Never before have I ever been so assured of two of God's attributes - His pleasure in the act of creation, and His sense of humor - as when as I was watching those two silly creatures. Could you come to any other conclusion? How utterly and delightfully impractical ducks are. God must have laughed when he made the first one, and that is a comfort to me.

I went to a different lake 2 weeks ago at Whetstone and a friend and I marveled at the too-obvious extravagance of our surroundings. Maple, oak and pine trees lined the water - why are their leaves different shapes? Or their bark different textures? An obese pond fish highlighter-orange wiggled over to us into the shallows - why practically bother with color at all? Dogs can't even see in color. A turtle's red-striped snout broke the surface, followed by his textured shell - why have a geometric pattern engraved like art along his back? Why bother loading food with taste and texture and variety, why go to the trouble of filling honeysuckle pips with sweet scent? Another pair of ducks were here, paddling with their bright orange feet, and the sheer enjoyment and extravagance of creation filled me. How could anyone look at a Desert Box Turtle's yellow paint stripes and say there was no painter? How could anyone look at the Clown Fish's colors and not see the marks of his make-up artist?

Walking in German Village this weekend, I had a less-euphoric experience with nature that touches on the "why" of that "how". Dave and I were walking along the brick streets of southern columbus when I noticed a small defect in the sidewalk the size of a fifty-cent piece. We never stopped moving, but as I looked down I noticed it was the grey remains of a baby bird, small wings perfectly outstretched as though in flight. His body was flat and had few remaining feathers on it; ants were trudging in and out of the holes that had developed in his delicate body, carrying on the process of decay. I would rather not know what exactly the ants were carrying as they were walking away.

The ducks and the dead baby bird represent two problems: the problem of pleasure, and the problem of imperfection. When I look at all of creation and its enormously unnecessary attention to detail and variety, I see God. But when others look at that exorbitant creation, they see the dead baby birds - it's not enough that it contains the ability to be incomprehensibly and impractically enjoyable, because it's not perfect. Which is an absolutely true problem.

But that dead baby bird is exactly why I do believe in God. I couldn't put hope in the existing goodness in the world if I didn't believe the world has been broken, damaged.  To me, that assurance of brokeness is one of the truest things keeping me sane in a world that seems to be full of contradictions. Something is undeniably wrong, but then something is undeniably right as well. I could not believe in God were it not for my freedom of choice; if we can choose to love, that means we can choose to hate, and for the choices to be real the results must be real as well. Every night at six'o'clock we see its very real symptoms on the news. This truth also, the truth of corruption, is an elementary admittance that God must, and does, make. This world seems to be an apple filled with worms, and believing in God means being able to both admit the presence of the disease and the sweetness of the fruit as it was made to be.

Who's really persuaded that what we have here, an imperfect world diseased with worms and filled with dead baby birds, is all that we have and nothing more? Our base hunger for a perfect world is too strong to be denied and will very certainly not be met here in this place. I believe there's an apple untouched by worms, a tree where baby birds are born and don't fall out of their nests, a place where our cravings will be satisfied. Imperfection will no longer be a problem, and Pleasure will be enjoyed uncorrupted. In that place, the food will still be spiced, only with more precision and variety; and the flowers will still have colors, only with more vibrance and creativity; and if I'm lucky, that place will still have ducks, but with brighter orange feet.

I'm grateful for what spices and flowers and ducks we have here, but am glad I can call it all both broken and good and look forward to the best that is yet to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und