Skip to main content

Tychicus



My hamster is dead.

Two days ago I skipped class to do some badly-needed cleaning around the house, starting with the turd-sprinkled hamster cage. Strangely, I'd come to enjoy the process of cleaning his cage, of improving the life of the creature I love. After removing the black mesh top and engaging in the perfunctory chase, beneath the water bottle and through the cardboard tunnel and behind the plastic green wheel, I scooped up my wriggling pet and stuffed him into his little plastic running ball. He kept running into my feet and legs as I removed the elements of his cage and scooped out his shavings with the leaf of a cardboard box. I giggled as he rammed into my calf again, and with my phone I videotaped him as he hurtled around the room. I was playing a Paul Simon cd that my stepfather bought me for Christmas and sang "Love Me Like A Rock" to him as he careened around the apartment.

He'd been warming up to his plastic ball more and more. At first he would get pissed about being in there and would scritch and scratch at the plastic wall, the same wall with the air slit that he had just deposited a turd into. But he slowly and clearly began to learn the layout of our apartment. Once he got out from the couches in the living room and into the kitchen, he had a merry time careening at thrice the speed across the linoleum, ramming into cabinets and baseboards when he couldn't stop fast enough on the slick surface.

After completing his cage, I went and scrubbed the bathroom sink and left him in his ball, the sounds of his collisions keeping me company. By the time I came out of the bathroom he'd had enough and was scritching at the wall, looking like he was trying to dig that turd out he'd just laid. I popped open the top of his ball and shook him back into his new cage, and left him to reorient himself and redig his customary tunnels, both an entrance and an exit to his burrow in the front left corner of the cage. The corner where I always found the most turds and stashed food, piled together indiscriminately.

I came home today feeling sad. Part of my bedtime routine, especially when I felt down, was to wake Tychicus up and play with him. One of my favorite things to do was clamp my hands around him so he was completely enclosed, and giggle at the tickling sensation of his nose testing the space between each of my fingers for escape. I always left a tiny opening by my thumb and forefinger, which he would shove his little head through until his eyes bulged and his scrabbling front paws emerged. He would always come out looking windswept from the tight squeeze. Then he would run up and down my forearms until I decided to do it all over again.

Tonight, I walked in the door and went straight to his cage. I lifted off the lid and tilted it against the back of the couch, as I always do. He wasn't out and about, but 10:00 p.m. is still pretty early for the nocturnal little guy. So, per usual, I started poking at the front left corner of his cage, which always is replied with a rustling and scrabbling out one of the tunnels.

There was no rustling. I poked and poked all along the left side of the cage, checked his tunnel, and poked by the mostly-undisturbed food dish. Nothing. Panic's seed began to sprout when I remembered staying up late the night before and not seeing him wake up before I went to bed. Dave made a comment as I dug through the shavings on the left side of the cage and touched fur. And the fur didn't move. Panic blossomed as I scraped the shavings away from the top of his back; Dave asked a question I can't remember, I couldn't respond, I heard his footsteps, and all I could see was that my hamster was not moving and the smell of something wrong filled my face.

I immediately sat down on my stool and began to sob. Dave tentatively tapped on the glass next to his body, and murmured, "Oh, poor guy." I bawled for several minutes, my palms stuffed into my leaking eye sockets. I couldn't look at my hamster and I couldn't think. Dave sat on the couch arm next to me and rubbed my shoulders and back.

"I was already feeling sad, too!" I spluttered.

"What did you feel sad about?" he asked as he pulled me into his shoulder.

I gasped twice and my face muscles puckered as I wailed, "I DID A GOOD JOB, DAVE, I DID A GOOD JOB TAKING CARE OF HIM!"

I shoved my body under his left arm, and continue to sob about how I fed him and how I just cleaned his cage and, Dave, I tried so hard! I did a good job! "You did, you did a good job taking care of him," he murmured down to me as a spoke through my tear-wet palms, my forehead pressed into his thighs. I felt so foolish but I couldn't help feeling so sad.

After the wailing subsided into wavering , he gently looked down at me and asked, "How do you want to bury him? Do you want me to do it, or do you want to help?"

"I want to help," I whispered. "Can we find a box, or at least something to wrap him in?"

He poked through the closet and drawers until I saw a small box that once held 25 20-gauge shotgun shells. It was perfect. When I pointed it out, Dave dumped the empty shells that had been inside and tenderly lined the box with a folded paper towel.

I didn't want to see my hamster's dead face. I thought - what if he had died a gruesome death? Would his bowels have evacuated all over his beautiful furry body? Could that have caused the smell? Tears swelled in my throat as Dave pulled on his boots and I went to the cage.

I tentatively scraped back the shavings. He still looked beautiful and perfect, soft and unsoiled. His tiny pink feet were tucked underneath, curled in wakeless sleep, and his glossy black eyes were restfully closed. His whiskers were still wiry and his fur was still soft. Had it not been for the smell and the unnatural cold of his belly, I would've doubted myself. I gently tucked him into the cradle of the paper towel, but left him visible, regardless of the wrongness of his smell. Dave trooped out the back door with me and locked it behind us.

He went to the garage to retrieve a shovel from the trunk of the car. I sat on the two concrete steps of our back stoop and looked down at my poor little pet, resisting an urge to protect him from the early March cold. I ran a knuckle over the downy softness of his back as tears blurred the world again. I looked up miserably as Dave returned with the shovel, the sound of the garage door grinding closed behind him.

He walked around the south side of the stoop, pacing awkwardly. "Where do you want to put him?" A couple of clusters of daffodil sprouts were poking up through the inhospitable ground. He indicated a spot between the last two clusters closest to the stoop and I nodded. His shovel bit into the mud, and I looked down at the tiny body in my hands. "I'm sorry," I whispered as Dave chopped through roots and ladeled half-frozen mud out of the shallow grave. Maybe eight inches down he ran into some rocks. He looked up and gently asked, "Is this deep enough?" I nodded.

I held out the box for him to have one last look at Tychicus, our first pet together, his perfect present to me for our first wedding anniversary, and he peered in and nodded, lips flat and eyes soft. My lips pursed and my chest heaved as I folded the paper towel over my little hamster, the last time I'll ever see him, and carefully tucked in the flaps on the lid of the box. I placed the box flat in the bottom of the hole, and watched Dave refill it with the black earth. I wondered whether I should put a shovelful in, but by that the time the tiny hole was already filled. He broke up the earthen clumps and gently patted the ground flat. I picked up a piece of nearby bark, a little bigger than my hand, and shoved it into the ground as a grave marker.

We stood there for a minute in the cold, and I laughed awkwardly. It was obvious neither of us really knew whether we should say something or not. So I gave Dave a crooked smile when he looked at me and we went inside. I shed my coat and boots and mumbled about washing my hands. I was sad, because that was the last time I'd ever get to hold him, and he smelled like death. I scrubbed my hands twice, our soap dispenser nearly out of the liquid orange Dial soap, as the tears welled up and spilt over again. Dave came behind me and put his arms around me, as my wet hands rested on the sink's white porcelain edge.

We moved from the bathroom to the living room. Dave sat on the far side of the love seat and opened his left arm for me to come in. I drove my face into the olive-colored cotton covering his stomach and whimpered softly. He held me as the emotions worked through me, running their course like the flu, and we talked a little. We prayed for a little while, and we talked about how much we liked him, and about death, and about getting another hamster. At one point he said, "I know it sounds coarse, but there's a reason they reproduce so much." I laughed, and knew I was ok then.

After Dave got up to take his sleeping pill before bed, I went to the cage and gently replaced the shavings where Tychicus had lain. I straightened his wheel and reoriented his cardboard tube. I wanted to keep the illusion of his presence, just for a little while. Seeing his cage as I write this, it's easy to imagine he's just fast asleep beneath the shavings. I wish he were.

Thank you, Dave, for Tychicus. And thank you for being the best when he died. I am so lucky.

Comments

steve said…
I am so sorry for your loss. I to, lost a hampster several years ago, named "Roady". She loved to hit the road in her ball, hense her name.

True, "just a hampster" to some, but I know how good it is to give a little living creature a good home and good care.

Better days ahead for you!

-Steve in Omaha.
~heather said…
Roady, what a good name for a hamster!

Thanks for commenting Steve :)
Lori S. said…
Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry, he was such a cute little guy...and I agree, you did take excellent care of him. I had a finch that died once...a neighbor helped me bury him, and I still remember him standing there with me, as he recited the words "...He was a good bird..." so seriously. It made me feel good again. I still giggle when I think about it. It will be all right, just take it one day at a time....Aunt L

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l