Skip to main content

Heart

Leaving a church you love is difficult.

What a small word, "difficult".  Nine letters, three syllables, a small vague word full of heartbreak.

It is October now.  And in October of last year, I left a church I loved.

It was the right decision.  But it was "difficult".

Dave and I left at the end of October.  At this time last year, we were in the final throes, and I was thrashing, in agony, miserable.  The church I loved and the people I loved were hurting me.  And worse, the wounds were inflicted with imperfect judgement and the best intentions.

Some mornings, I still wake up angry thinking about it.  Misguided love is a dangerous thing.

For some reason, it helps to know that it hurts so much because I loved them, that church, so much.  My heart was there, had grown vessels and nerves, was pumping blood, deep-set in the chest of that church.  And then when we left, I had to cut it out.

I sometimes wonder if my heart will ever beat right again.

The healing has been slow, and confusing.  It was six months before Dave and I went to church again, and still, it was tentative.  My mother invited us to the Easter Sunday service at her church, and I begged Dave to go.  Being there tugged on the ragged stitches; we bickered and fought; I cried a lot.

It is hard to try again.  For weeks, it was unbearable.  Standing next to my mother as the sanctuary filled with worship music, my throat would close.  I would push my long hair forward to hide my tears.  My heart was still so bruised; it felt so misshapen in this new place.  I missed the church I loved, hated that I missed it, knew that I would never go back, longed for a new community to give my heart to, and also wondered if I could ever give my heart like that again.  I loved that church; it broke my heart.

It has been getting better.  Slowly, raggedly, like physical therapy.  I went to my mother's church's picnic and ate cake and played cornhole and exchanged numbers and made friends.  I came home smiling.  I went to a movie at the dollar theater with a Taiwanese girl my age, and we spent a beautiful evening in disjointed English and the getting-to-know-you awkwardness.  My heart is fearful now, more than it ever has been before, but I ache with hope.  I am so afraid of the commitment of community, yet I also want it so much.  My fractured heart can hardly bear it.

I am fragile right now.  We have been at this church for five months, and I am approaching the point where I want to do more than just Sundays.  I have not yet taken the steps to do so, and my bruised husband is hesitant.  It is hard - "difficult" - to give your heart away again after heartbreak.  This world offers no guarantees - Dave and I are very conscious of the cost of giving our hearts away.  And there is no insurance policy for it.

This gamble, that awful fact of love and friendship, that it can only be bought by taking my heart from my chest and putting it in their hands, utterly exposed, my vulnerable soul stretched out on the stone altar trying to trust that I will not be sacrificed...it is "difficult" to reach through my ribs, to go up those steps, to get up on that altar again, when you've been gutted on it before.

But what else can I do?

C.S. Lewis said:
"To love at all is to be vulnerable.  Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken.  If you want to be sure of keeping your heart in tact, you must give your heart to no one....lock it up safe in the casket of your selfishness.  But in that casket - safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change.  It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable."
These are my options?  A cold heart of stone kept safe, or a warm heart of flesh offered up for butchering again and again?

It is not an easy thing to love, really love.  Especially after heartbreak.  To know what you are offering up, what you might suffer, every time you place your heart in the palm of another.  The thought can be agonizing, maddening even.

But please, God, I hope I always have the courage to stick my fist in my chest and offer it up again and again, bloody and scarred and weeping in fear.  I hope it is always soft enough to be cut to pieces, to be broken.  I don't understand why the world has to be this way, why it's better to be so vulnerable, but if that's the way it is, then, alright.

Alright.

It's October.  I left a church I loved a year ago.  I loved it, and it broke my heart.

May God help me in offering up my heart again in this new place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und