Skip to main content

Depression II: Relational Graces

Even in the best of times, depression is heavy.

Therefore, when additional bad stuff arises, such as an illness or an injury, the extra weight can make life a lot more difficult.

But even in that, there are often extra graces for the bearing.

I wrote before about the small external graces that help hold up the heavy ceiling.  But there are important and specifically-relational graces that really shine during the extra-difficult times.  And sometimes, beyond all reasoning, those graces even come straight from the problems.

In a mishap a few weeks ago, Dave sustained three major scrapes - one the full length of his right forearm, a deep one on his left elbow, and a nasty one just below his right knee.  For two weeks, he was limping and wincing, slathered up with three tubes of Neosporin and fresh wrappings every morning, was in too much pain to shower without help, and took as many painkillers as the prescription bottle allowed.  He was miserable, and there was nothing to do but manage the pain and wait for the skin to knit back together.

As his wife, his injuries threw my whole morning routine for a spin, and for two weeks I had to wake up early and give my mornings to my increasingly-irritable invalid husband.

The first two days were the easiest for me to be the caring, doting wife.  I even felt closer to him as I tended him from scalp to sole.  My stomach lurched in sympathy whenever he winced at the stray frayed corner of a washcloth, or that hissing sound he made every time I smeared Neosporin onto his torn pink skin.  Every maternal caregiver neuron in my body was afire with cooing sympathy.

By the third day, those neurons had burnt out.

By then, all the grateful adrenaline -  pumping from "Thank God it wasn't worse" - was gone.  He was uncomfortable and moody, and I was inconvenienced and holding on to my patience by a fingernail and few frayed threads.

But there were still scrapes to slather and a husband to clean.  For days and days and interminable days.  His depression darkened and seethed at a black low boil, and I was losing the will to care.

But the fourth day came.  And the fifth.  And the sixth.  The seventh.  And the eighth.

Every day, I woke an hour early to slather the scrape with ointment, cover it with overlapping non-stick pads, wrap it with a fresh roll of gauze, and tape secure.  And I did this in triplicate, for each oozing scrape, as he winced and hissed and moaned.

Every.  Single.  Day.

It's the 10th day, a Wednesday, that I remember.

He had been scraped up on a Sunday afternoon, and the next Monday - 8 days after the mishap - Dave's knee wrapping had slipped while walking at work. When he pulled up his pant leg, the gauze had been stained yellow by the healing ooze, and I had to peel the weave of the gauze out of the half-scabbed goo of skin below his knee.

Lots of wincing and hissing.

So on Tuesday morning, he asked,  "Can you wrap it a little tighter, so it doesn't do that?"  So, with my foot propped on the edge of the bed and his leg crooked over mine, I unrolled the gauze as tight to his skin as possible, wrapping it snugly above and below and around the joint.  By then, my best defense to his gloominess was poorly-placed lame jokes, so I bragged to him about being valedictorian of wrappings.

"Mm," he said, an elbow bent over his eyes as he clenched his teeth.

The following morning, 10 days after the mishap, the 10th morning of showering and kneeling and scrubbing and wincing and babying and biting my tongue and running out of time to do my hair, I reached for the 10th time into the gauze bag for another roll and the blue-handled pair of scissors.  I'm dripping wet, running late, smearing ointment on an open wound, and just as I lay on the non-stick pads and start with the gauze, he says, "Can you do it a little looser today?  Yesterday was too tight."

"Too tight?  But you asked me to wrap it tight."

"I know, but yesterday it was too tight," he insisted, laid back on the bed with one leg in the air.

"Well, how tight do you want it?"

"I don't know, just not that tight."

I felt my incisors clamp down on my tongue as I pulled one loop around his knee.

"Like this?"

"Mm...it can go tighter than that."

I reached behind his leg and pulled a little more.

"This?"

"A little tighter."

I pulled again.

"A little more."

Now I could taste blood.

"This is how tight it was yesterday," I hissed.

Twelve days of not being able to shave my legs because of helping with this and he wanted to blame his discomfort on my wrapping?

I wanted to stick my finger right into the painful pink goo of his kneecap.

"First Monday was too loose, then Tuesday was too tight, even though YOU told me - "

"JUST - just pull it a little tighter - "

I yanked at the bandage, eyes blazing, and squealed, "Is THIS tight enough??"

The bandage cut into the flesh of his calf and he jerked his head up to glare between his knees as I cut off the circulation. I narrowed my eyes right back at and for an instant we just glared at each other through the gap between his legs, my elbows hoisted over my head with a fistful of gauze, exhaling hard out my nose as Dave bit down and clenched his jaw.

If looks could kill.

He was so sick of being unwell and I was so sick of taking care of him and we were both so pissed and -

We burst into giggles.

I don't know why, and I don't know where they came from.  They just came.  One moment we were murder, and the next moment, my knees gave out.

We looked at each other and burst out laughing; we looked again, and it bubbled up fresh all over.  I fell against the bed and his knee went lax.  His chest shook, we could barely breathe, the gauze fell out of my limp hands, and we giggled and giggled and giggled at the whole ridiculous mess.

I couldn't stop laughing.

And whatever it was, it helped.

In the end, I wrapped his knee just the way he wanted, without complaint.  I kissed him on the cheek when he sat up, and, before I went back to the bathroom to dry my hair, I patted him on a bare thigh.  I kept smiling at myself in the mirror, fighting the subsided giggles.  He limped in to brush his teeth, and leaned over to give me a quick peck on the lips.

My legs were still hairy, I was still running late, he was still uncomfortable and in pain - all that problem-causing stuff was still there.  But somehow, we were OK now.  We were better.

Somehow, in the midst of it, and from the very situation that had circumstantially worsened his depression, we found we had been given another grace.

(And the last four mornings, the last of his two invalid weeks, were much better after that 10th day.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l