Skip to main content

Katrina Reaches The Clintonville Wendy's Drive-Thru

so I've had two run-ins with Katrina victims.

the first happened at the beginning of September, when I was on vacation in North Carolina at Holden Beach with another 200 college-age kids down there for a week of fun. I didn't feel like swimming in the ocean one morning, so instead I walked up and down the beach for a good hour, enjoying a little quiet time by the ocean. Don't get me wrong, rambuncious crazy college guys and girls for a week on a beach is the most fun you'll ever have, but it was nice to get some time away from it so I could enjoy it more when I got back to it.

Surprisingly, our intimidating numbers did not squelch the odd other vacationer or beach regular. so, during my beach stroll, I crossed paths with this guy (God forgive me, but I can't remember his name) and his dog. somehow, we got to talking. he asked where I was from, so I said from Ohio with a zillion other college kids; I asked him the same, and he said from New Orleans. I guess he rented out several houses down there which are now basically destroyed, and he left with only bare essentials and his old and lovable pooch. Here this guy and I were talking about a natural catastophe and this creature was running around, nipping at a bug zipping around his head. The whimsical irony got me thinking a little, and I liked the image.

a little more conversation, and I find this guy is a lot like me. True, he was a solid 15 years older than me, but he was a Journalism major (that's what I want to be with time) and loved to write and stuff like that. and here he was, living out of a family beach home by another ocean on another shore, someone not too different from myself. Suddenly, Katrina's inland reach didn't seem as far away as New Orleans.


the second encounter happened while I was at work. I manage the drive-thru, which means I'm a master at multi-tasking; I have the ability to make change, take change, talk to a customer, and take an order all at the same time. Yes, I know, it's amazing. Anyways, we hit a pocket of slow flow in the drive-thru, and this lady comes through. I'm making her change, and this little baby in a carseat in the back is giving me the most intent look an infant could give. I pointed it out to his guardian, and she said, "Yeah, he studies everyone like that. He's probably still confused after everything; he and my daughter, his mother, lived in New Orleans and left the day before Katrina hit. She's down there right now, and she called me on the phone crying last night. The area they lived in wasn't supposed to be hit that badly, but she got down there and said it was terrible how much was destroyed." Another blasted car came onto my headset, though, so I had to wave her on as captivated as I was with her story. But I smiled at her grandson, and after thinking about it, he gave me the most delighted infant smile I think I've ever seen. I never even caught their names

so now I have these faces and stories to attach to the mass of people estranged from their homes and familiar comforts and a million things I have daily, but show no gratefulness for, and I still don't know names. But the mass is no longer a faceless blur - I pick out personal details in the mob. and for some reason...that makes all the difference.

Comments

Deb said…
I love this entry, Heather. You're so good at connecting with people. You'll be a great journalist for that reason (and for other reasons, like your writing ability!).

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l