Skip to main content

I Didn't Do It!!

So the day started out in quite an interesting fashion, to say the least.

Last night, we were up in Mt. Vernon at my dad's girlfriend's place, carving pumpkins all night. SO COOL. I actually got along with CeAnne's kids really well, what with all the flying pumpkin guts and baked pumpkin seeds my sister spilled. I wish I was more technologically savvy; I have some kick-butt pictures on my phone of all our pumpkins we slaved over. My dad and I, the most meticulous of the lot, spend two hours plus on our pumpkins. Okay, I had a pirate skull and the teeny-tiny teeth took up the second hour, so sue me - it was totally worth it.

We get back late to our house because the drive is an easy hour, and then I find to my delight, after an hour of fiddling, how to copy my cd's onto my newly-room-acquainted desktop computer. Sum total of everything, I was up way too late, and still wanted to get up early and find out what classes I was going to need to register for the next day.

But because of the weird circumstances I went to bed on, I had muddled and confused dreams. And around 6 this morning, just a few minutes before my alarm went off, I heard this thunderous CRASH somewhere. I am dead asleep and I bolt awake, without contacts or light or real concept of where I was, and with this swoop in my stomach because I thought I saw a figure dash across my bedroom in my first split-second of consciousness. Now note this again: I cannot see and it is dark in my room. Good to know I base my theories on sound judgement.

Moments later my dad appears in the doorway. "Was that you, Heather?" I am still confused and disoriented, so the best I've got is "Um...I don't think so...?" Leaving my door open, the light from the hall flooding into my room, he crept to the foot of the stairs to the background of little whispers from my siblings asking what in the freakin' world just happened. After a few moments of wasted suspense, he said, "Don't worry about it, go back to sleep for a few minutes everybody."

Peering past the beads covering my door, I squinted his direction as he said, "You know that sidetable with the plant at the top of the stairs? Well, it is now at the bottom of the stairs."

"What the heck...you think the dog did it?"

He smirked grimly. "When I felt the carpet at the top of the stairs, it was warm like she'd been lying there, and when I went downstairs she had this pitiful guilty look on her face. All signs point to, um, yeah." He retreated back to the warmth of his water bed while I crawled out of my own sheets to get started on looking up classes. The dog kept me company while I stared blearily at the computer screen with greasy hair and morning-smelling pj's, even to the point of gracing me with that ever-talented up-chuck reflex of hers; and as if that weren't enough, she gave me an encore, to which point I chased her outside the back door to so she could finish wretching somewhere dad didn't have to clean it up. why not add to her collection in the backyard while she's got perfectly good and fresh plant-leaves to donate?

I went through the tedious process of going back up the stairs, which involved stepping around the dark soil staining the light-colored carpet on the stairway on every single step. With my notoriaty for spilling and dropping and breaking things, I stepped around it all without complaint, glad for once that such a disaster wasn't my doing for once.

Comments

Deb said…
I'm catching up on your blog, Heather, and totally enjoying it.

I love pumpkin carving too--I can get lost in it!

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l