Skip to main content

I'm Shaking, Too

well. that wasn't how I expected my morning to go. as always, I messed around on the computer in the Tech computer lab, slept through Science class, and slept before English class - you know, your typical Wednesday routine. to mix things up a bit from sleeping in the library, and because I didn't want to go outside in the now-cold winter air, I stayed in Nestor Hall and went to the quieter lounge downstairs. I slept hard, because last night I fell asleep on the couch and that means my sleeping sucked. I woke up, 15 minutes before I leave for class, and the day changed drastically.

I'm just starting to pack up my bag when this heart-wrenching bellow comes from a man barely a dozen feet away from me. Everyone's head turned as one to see what was going on; I watched his black leather jacket with a red dragon emblazoned on the back, and the short dark hair on the back of his head, start shaking and twitching violently in his chair. Everyone waited and murmured worriedly for 5 seconds, at which point 6 or 7 guys strode on cue from their chairs over to this man. The rest of us watched in a kind of dumbfounded stupor, still trying to register is this really happening, and are we being cowards for not being one of those guys.

The man is still shaking, and one of the guys grab his shoulder. "Hey man, are you okay?"

"He might be having a seizure."

"Someone call 911!"

"I got it, I'll make the call."

"Should we move him?"

"Hey man, I've had seizures before - you don't move them if they're having a seizure. And don't put anything in his mouth, he'll bite it off and choke on it."

At this point, the man is slipping farther and farther in his chair, still shaking uncontrollably but not as badly as before, saliva spraying from a mouth he can't control. I sat there, numb, in mid-motion for my bag, wondering what the hell am I gonna do. Should I just go to class and leave the others to care for him? They don't want another rubbernecker heightening the helping guys' anxiety, and I'm not doing anything anyway. So what do I do? I slip my bag onto my shoulder, along with several other people, and go to my 11:00 class with one parting glance at this scene I was a part of over my shoulder.

Now I'm here, sitting at a computer and pouring all this out for the internet to see, still shaking a little bit from watching it all happen, and wishing I would have been one of the people going over to that man to try and help. It was weird, walking into the classroom, everyone laughing as chatting as usual, oblivious of what went on downstairs, but shook me up so much. And right now I can't tell if I'm more bothered watching that man suffer like that right before my eyes, or that I didn't do a single thing to help his suffering and left solving the problem to those around me.

Comments

Deb said…
Oh, man, I wish you'd told me about this in class. And I hope the man is okay.
Rai said…
Wow... don't feel to bad I'd of prolly done the same thing as you to afraid to move shocked by it and frozen.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und