Skip to main content

Shakira Has The Turks To Thank

I doubt anyone has as cool a title for this blog entry as I do; and now that begs the question, what does your unconventional title about a diva and Turkish things have anything to do with writing one big paper about one little word? Well, let me clear up your confusion (I promise I'll eventually explain the title)...

The word I chose to write about is 'dance', and I know alot of you are assuming right away, "Maybe Heather can dance." Ha. I laugh long and loud at that; the only dance training I have is a ballet class I took when I was three in my amazing little leotard and white tights covering my short chubby legs. The only dance experience I've had has all been crammed into my life recently - I went stag to homecoming at my little christian high school all 4 years, so I had to line dance all by myself. Then, all of a sudden this past spring, all my guy friends gave me a second glance, and I ended up being asked, and going to, three proms with a date for each: Bexley with Aaron, Reynoldsburg with Charlie, and Tree of Life with Scott, all in that order. (can you figure out which one is the christian school?)

With Aaron, we danced the prom away, where basically I wiggled around as best I could and gawked at the people around me much more "into it" than I was, shall we say. I recently asked Aaron if he thought I could dance, and he summed it up well: "You're cute when you dance until you get embarassed and stop dancing." That's me - I'm not good, and I know it, but I wish it were. In sports at school I developed a natural athleticism after 6 years of sports, and I think that that is my only asset on the dance floor; but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to try, if I weren't so embarassed at myself.

Another reason dancing holds so much is the rigid disdain Tree of Life held dancing in. We had ballroom dancing lessons at our prom; we had line dancing at homecoming; they forgot to add a dance for couples. Everything was always well-lit and carefully supervised, so the allure of going to a public school dance was heightened in my mind. So, in a weird streak of popularity, I experienced 3 different proms in 6 weeks. Isn't that ridiculous? And I saw and did that kind of dancing first hand; crazy dancing where I was moving my hips as much as possible and waving my arms around like an orangutan like everyone else and monitoring where my date's hands were on my body, the slow back-and-forth rocking dance which was a little awkward because these were all friend dates with clumsy hands firmly suctioned to my lower back, and attempts at ballroom dancing with a partner literally an entire foot taller than me and making the attempt hysterical and impossible. And I loved every second of every one. So dancing has always held my curiousity in its own special way. And now, looking up the clothing dancers wear...let's just the lack of fabric is astoundingly artistic. I didn't know people could do so much with so little cloth: check it out.

Researching it is fascinating - the kind of definitions and pictures I've found are things that the faculty at Tree of Life could point at with their eyes closed and squall SEE? THIS IS WHY WE DON'T DO COUPLE DANCING AT THIS SCHOOL GOD HAS GIVEN US! Nowadays, it's all about sex and being high on drugs and being able to write 'stripper' on your resume; it didn't used to be that way. One of the patterns I've picked up on was the ancients danced to get the attention of the gods, and there was very rarely noteworthy dancing without a partner or an audience.

And I know you are all dying to find out how is the world Shakira and the Turks made it into my title, and now the suspense is coming to a close. The most amusing thing I found on the OED is someone who dates belly-dancing back to 1899 as a trademark of the Turks. And I just had to make that the title of this entry. Wouldn't you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und