Skip to main content

Gone in 30 Seconds

This past Saturday sucked. It sucked so much it brought a newer and deeper definition to the word 'suck'. I was at work all day at Wendy's, working the drive-thru register as usual...but it was cold. Really freaking cold. And I couldn't wear gloves, or else I couldn't ring in the orders and make change. And I couldn't zip up my coat, because then I wouldn't be able to use the buttons on my headset. My fingers went numb, and the only feeling I had was the jabbing sensation I got when hitting buttons. And for nearly three hours, my window was almost perpetually open because of the steady flow of customers. And when I wasn't by the window, I was washing dishes. And when a car came up to the speaker, I had to take me and my sopping arms back to the cold window and dry the water off with icy winter air. I've done this before, but it especially sucked then - I got in a bad mood and stayed there most of the day.

So I'm going through the motions, grumbling and screaming profanities into a speaker I make sure is definetely off, when the most shining glorious 30 seconds of my day pulls up to my window. TADA! Dave is there, at my window, WITH A STARBUCK'S CARAMEL FRAP. He's smiling up at me from the driver's seat with my favorite treat of all time. He spent his entire lunch break from Lowe's all the way up at Easton, drove to Starbucks, KNEW what I wanted, bought it, drove over to Wendy's just so he could see me for 30 seconds and gave me the frap, and drive all the way back up to Lowe's @ Easton. I had just enough time to thank him before I had to take care of the next order.

Before you knew it, I was singing over my dishes, dancing when I microwaved the buns, sipping my wonderful Caramel Frap, thinking of all giving that frap to me meant out of his lunch break, and transformed my sour mood.

Amazing how 30 seconds can turn your whole day around.

Comments

Deb said…
Lovely. Just a lovely thing.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

Mixed Feelings

So I got a message from what I thought was a former friend. I really don't have any idea what the hell he is right now, or how I should respond to him. He and I used to be the closest of close, and then he got in a bad mood and shut me out. A little while later, we picked stuff back up again after a tearful and apologetic reunion. A few months and one ruined practical joke later, I became a scapegoat and he shut me out again. That hurt - mostly because I felt wrongly accused. I haven't heard from him since, and suddenly he's trying to connect with me again, claiming a change in heart. I have a hard time believing him - that was what he said last time. If you're reading this, I'm not doing this to spite you, but to process you and get advice from my friends. Can you blame me for not knowing what to do with you exactly? He sent me a message through facebook and then told me about a pivotal blog entry he had - I read it, and now I'm interested in at least one conve

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all