Skip to main content

An Intimate Friendship

So, I know I've been obsessing about Dave in my last I-don't-know-how-many blogs, but bear with me one more time. I wanna recount the evening first for you, no one else has heard it yet, while it's still wonderfully crisp and fresh in my mind.

He's late (as usual) picking me up because I asked him to get out of bed at a time of day he hasn't seen in weeks - in other words, the AM part of the day. So, bundling up my wonderful brown skirt and boots, I hitch up my favorite jeans, tug my amazing black top straight, plop my ample rear in his car and we're off to start a wonderful day! It started simply - we went and saw Narnia together (because the amazing thing is, we actually found a movie we BOTH wanted to see, go figure) and started the morning out a little rushed, but relaxed. We get back to the house where he lives, and as I tell his room mate Tim all about the Christian music genre he's interested in - that I've replaced with Rascal Flatts, Kelly Clarkson, and Matchbox 20 - Dave got his skinny butt in the shower and CLEANED UP. That in itself is a miracle -he's known to go two, sometimes three, days without showering. So I was jazzed that he felt the day important enough for that. Excusing myself from Tim, I slipped into the downstairs bathroom and changed into my WONDERFUL AMAZING FREAKING EXPENSIVE skirt of brown courderoy and heavy pleats and slightly-frayed edges. The look I got from Dave as he tromped back downstairs all sweet-smelling and groomed told me all I needed about his opinion of my WONDERFUL AMAZING FREAKING EXPENSIVE skirt.

Seeing this is his first time arranging a special day like this for anyone, the poor amateur lets a gap slip in between getting dressed for dinner and dinner. So we killed the time (with a noose and crossbow) in a coffee shop a couple blocks away, in which I forced him to play me in a game of chess...to his credit, he properly humilated me. He's barely knowledgeable of the pieces' movements while I had all elementary school in the chess club (I'm a geek and I know it), and he kept my king running for his life. Not sauntering, not casually strolling, but RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE! Oh, the humilation...

So finally, he looks down at his phone WHOOPS we're gonna be late, tromp back to the car trying not to get disgusting slush all over my WONDERFUL AMAZING FREAKING EXPENSIVE skirt, drive two blocks and park, and then back out into the cold. He made me slosh through wet snow on a brick street in my 2-1/2" boots trying to keep up with his not-wearing-boots-and-having-legs-twice-Heather's-length stride. Before I know it, I'm stomping the slush from my boots and peering through the door of the most charming Italian restaurant. With literally a dozen tables and situated smack in the middle of an alley I was...surprised, to say the least, at the ambiance I immediately succumbed to. Forgive me, I totally forget the name of this wonderful place, I was too absorbed by the wonderful atmosphere (I feel so cheesy saying that). With good food and sharing a glass of wine with my 21-year-old boyfriend in this restaurant overflowing with such atmoshpere and just loving it. I have never had any experience like that before, ever, and I enjoyed every second of it. That and discussing Fear Factor maggot shakes over angel hair pasta, but I won't bore you with the details of our conversation. *winks*

Over dinner, Dave let me guess our next stop to see if I was right. Without hesitation, I said "To the Columbus Zoo to see the Christmas lights." Sputtering into the wine glass, he looked up, appalled that his plans were so transparent. "How did you guess?!" Spelling it out for him that I was shrewd enough to put the clues together, he playfully whined during the entirety of our adventure back to the car, not letting me get in one complaint edgewise about my stupid shoes and the stupid slush. How rude.

So, in spite of his complaints of "Well, I can't do it now" and "Nope, it's ruined", we went to the Zoo. Holy. Cow. I can only imagine how and how long it took them to put up all those MILLIONS of lights all over the zoo. It was quite fun, which I think surprised Dave, because Christmas lights are much more my thing than his - but the indoor animal displays cheered him up significantly. Especially the new-ish Australian exhibit (those mice were hopped up on capucchino mixed with drugs, we swear) and the baby elephant and rhino pens ("dude, can you imagine one of those things coming after you?") and the leopard passed out in the corner of his cubicle ("Aw...I want one of those") and the endless reptile house (we think the Burmese python is the thickness of an OSU football linebacker's thigh, no exaggerating) and the "missing" prairie dog exhibit ("it was here 5 years ago, I swear") we had an excellent time just...having fun and, as weird as it may sound...just being friends. I think that's a big part of why I like him so much - he is fast becoming my best friend, and I see more and more that I wouldn't want it any other way.

Stopping at Wendy's to refill our stomachs set on "E" after 2 hours wandering aimlessly on a large property staring at the same 12 colors of stringed lights in different arrangements and locations, we headed back to my mom's to play with the favorite cat, Henry. Dave is a cat person. Henry is the coolest cat. Need I say more? Sometimes I wonder if Dave is just using me to get to my cat...Anyways, played with him for a little bit, cuddled on the ugly yet comfortable futon, and just...talked. Really talked. We just had two hours at the end of our day and we ranged all topics, from our spiritual maturity and how we're doing following the Christian lifestyle, to making fun of my lovable dork of a feline trouncing around the house constantly in imminent danger of hurting himself. It was...intimate. There's no other word for it, and no need to bold, capitalize, or italicize the word. It was simple...it wasn't complex or expensive or required a need to dress up, which I think is what made it the way I describe it: intimate. Cuddling and sometimes kissing, complimenting and contemplating, with the freedom to talk about anything at any time I wished...it was wonderful. I don't really have words to embrace those two hours into sentences...but I think you catch the sincerity of my enjoyment. I couldn't tell him enough how much I appreciated the effort (and expenses, God bless him) he put into the events of the day...but I hope he understood how thankful I was for such a special day with him, even if everything didn't work out smooth as glass. I thought for his first completely-spoil-the-girlfriend day, he did a marvelous job.

*laughs* Sorry, I know this was a long post...but it was a long day. A great day. It was important I got that time with him as my friend...but also got some unwordable intimacy, too...I don't know what God's will is for my life and future, but to say the least, I sure hope Dave McCray is in it for a very long time to come.

Comments

Anonymous said…
awwwwww, how cute heather......


*hug*

I'm glad you have found such a reat guy and more important is that you really enjoy spending time with him.


I'm happy for you two.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

Mixed Feelings

So I got a message from what I thought was a former friend. I really don't have any idea what the hell he is right now, or how I should respond to him. He and I used to be the closest of close, and then he got in a bad mood and shut me out. A little while later, we picked stuff back up again after a tearful and apologetic reunion. A few months and one ruined practical joke later, I became a scapegoat and he shut me out again. That hurt - mostly because I felt wrongly accused. I haven't heard from him since, and suddenly he's trying to connect with me again, claiming a change in heart. I have a hard time believing him - that was what he said last time. If you're reading this, I'm not doing this to spite you, but to process you and get advice from my friends. Can you blame me for not knowing what to do with you exactly? He sent me a message through facebook and then told me about a pivotal blog entry he had - I read it, and now I'm interested in at least one conve

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all