Skip to main content

A Member of the "Hates Ohio Weather Club"

TELL ME I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO'S BEEN OUTSIDE TODAY

If I'm not the only one, you'll have experienced the perfection of the day. The beginning of those rare handful of weeks where the Spring weather is lovely before Ohio scorches us with another humid summer. Today is one of those LOVELY days where the weather is PERFECT. I couldn't have made it better myself - today is my one-class day, which means I'm on campus for nearly 6 hours for an hour and a half class (it's the way my ride works out).

Today, at the feet of the utterly S A P P Y statue of Christopher Columbus at the center of campus, I was sunning myself in a pair of jeans rolled up to my knees and a tank top, utterly content. Warm breathy puffs of spring air swirled languidly about, just enough to keep the sun from being hot but not cool enough to be uncomfortable. Just one of those perfect days Ohioans don't expect much of. To my friends in Florida and California, shut the #&%$ up and let me enjoy one of your days in my area.

It was doubly enjoyable because one of my morals in life is to NOT go fake'n'bake, I absolutely refuse; but lately my resolve has been teetering due to the unusually pale shade my skin has gone. My father did it for months before I realized what he was doing behind closed doors during his work day; and to his great delight, he has found a girlfriend who does the very same thing. That kind of accessibility has been toying with my morales, but today was wonderful, because if nothing else, my arms and calves got an hour's worth of color and my morals remain intact. If I look really close I think I see a little more color on my arms; my faded little legs...we'll give that a little more sun time before inspection.

Well, I did come inside to do some work for my online science class; then I realized I don't have my books, so I decided to grace you with my EXCITEMENT for Ohio's short and beautiful Spring which has only truly arrived today. Yesterday, I saw a half-open daffodil in the midst of many bulging blossoms; an hour later I saw 4 purple crocuses heralding the season in a garden while driving around campus; this morning my mom pointed out to me another set of crocuses coloring the world even more in the garden of our empty neighboring house; I about peed my pants each time, I was THAT excited. And Dave, when present for my Spring Fever, shook his head and loudly pleaded with God to give him divine strength and patience.

SOMEONE ENJOY IT WITH ME!

Comments

Anonymous said…
heath, if i end up getting a job at home, you need to be my roomie when i finally move out. because that would rock my face off.
~heather said…
I would actually like to see what it looks like to see your face "rocked off"

:-D
:-D
:-D

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und