Skip to main content

Updating At Last

So here's my good excuse: I haven't updated lately because all the computers in my house have their own unique farts in them that render them each useless to me when it comes to my blogging life. The kids' computer that my dad assembled has this weird quirk when I log into blogger - it will automatically shut the internet off for some foreign reason. Dad's computer? Supposedly the most high tech and fastest computer in the house? Well, it's so over-protected that when I try to (God forbid) access a site that I must log into by username and password, well, its protection says NONE SHALL PASS. Therefore, no blogging there either. And my computer? Well...it has internet when I restart it, but if the internet is idle too long, it will disintegrate...until I restart the computer again. It's a vicious cycle I can't really win, but sometimes grapple with and get small moral victories with. But, once again, blogging is kind of moot on that machine.

So now it's way late into the night and several cans of Mountain Dew are gurgling happily in my stomach along with an unhealthy amount of pizza and beef jerky. A few rounds of cards with Amy and Tabby at Tabby's house had some...interesting stakes, we'll say... :) We're celebrating (in true belated fashion) Tabby's 19th birthday together. And the peg-hand cane-twirling Leprechaun hamster? Another story entirely, but it made for an interesting night; who says stupid birthday gifts can't also be the most impractically wonderful?


So what has happened lately? A fairly uneventful spring break (no Florida *weeps*) spent in town. One cool highlight was hanging out with a guy I bumped into a while back, and his mom just a week ago. He's in town from college, and was my boyfriend in second grade. According to my mother, who always giggles when she tells this story, he had to stay home from school for a few days in a row due to the chicken pox. His mother ended up calling the house, explaining her son's relations with me, and asking if Heather could please talk to Joe, he's been sick and out of school and misses Heather. Aww....isn't that adorable? It was a jolt to hear his deep man voice on the phone - a piece of me was still expecting a squeaky 2-foot child with crooked front teeth to show up. Here's comes this man figure much taller than me with a crazy mass of blonde hair and teeth corrected by braces, a voice low enough in comparison to rattle the cages in hell. It was disorienting, quite frankly. But it was cool - we got together and bowled for an hour and a half, just...hanging out.

And then Dave tells me this story about the other day when he was coming outside to leave to hang out with a friend; he had just locked the back door of his house (which, I might add, is in the bad part of campus, just to toy with my emotions...) when a tall black guy runs through his backyard. Dave said he flinched, fully expecting to be mugged, brilliantly saying "Uh, hey, how's it goin'?" The man was sweaty and panting, obviously having run quite a ways. "What's up?" He greeted back, jogging around the house to try the locked gate. Swearing quietly, he
jogged farther back in the yard to hop the neighbor's fence and cut through to the street on the other side as Dave gawked motionless from the back stoop. A solid minute later, a couple of out of shape policemen came huffing around the corner, "fat kid jogging" as Dave so aptly described it. As Dave pulled out of the alley he saw a handful of cop cars going down 4th street and going down each street down the way to try and cut this guy off most likely. In other words, Dave just had a bizaare encounter with the object of a large scale manhunt who had an impressive headstart on his pursuers. His eyes lit up, and he started spouting macho nonsense, either wrestling the guy to the ground to be captured or holing him up in his house and secreting him from the police. Yeah, my spine did not appreciate the chills it received when he told me that story.

As far as work goes...the guy who's flipped me the bird has turned out to be a regular who is very taken with me, and I've been promoted just today to start helping to run the U-Scans. It's horribly boring and horribly easy, but it's cool to talk to whoever else is helping with the U-Scans, and there is hardly any rushed feeling at all when helping customers. One of the Assistant Managers, Rana (which means "frog" in Spanish, even though that's irrelevant because he's India-born), talks to me non-stop. He's done everything from probing my opinion of marriage constantly to asking if I could love my boyfriend forever, from telling me that money than love are the priorities when looking for a husband and asking me pointers on how better to show his love to his wife. He's cool to talk to - his family picked his wife out for him, the pair meeting only twice before the wedding, that being a week after they approved each other, but you can tell he really does seem to have a great amount of love and respect for his wife and the importance of her role in their small family (they have a 16-month-old daughter named Riha, and I know that's how you spell it because it took ten minutes for Rana's accented English to penetrate my brain-dead senses).

So, school starts back up soon, and spring is on its way (more or less, it seems). Winter makes the spring so beautiful, I think - green daffodils shoots are sprouting like mad along Dave's back walkway and I love to skim my hands over their leaves. It gets me excited about the days to come. Dave and I love to be outside, so this winter has been tiresome for the two of us. I can't wait until we have sprees of days where we can go on bike rides to the park, or toss around a baseball, or trek to the batting cages, or find a good park to go for a walk in - anything outside at this point, really. So that adds anticipation to this spring. That and the fact that my dad told me that he's proposing to his lovely lovely girlfriend very soon. I know, I'm sprouting step-relatives left and right, but I'm actually okay with this. She's the best - there couldn't be a better fit for my dad, and especially for our family. I don't really have the words to descrive her except for the fact that I truly can't wait until I can claim her as a part of my family, as a relation...as a second mother. Not just a stepmother, but a second mother. There's a distinct and important difference there, and if you can't figure it out right away, think about it...really think about it. I guarantee, there is an important difference - I would have accepted the last girlfriend as a stepmother grudgingly, but not as my second mother. Here I am with Robin, though, counting down the days until she's got a ring sparkling on her finger and I'll have the opportunity to come home and see dad and have her there as well, easily accessible and not up in Toledo.

Okay, this has been an ungodly long entry, and I truly do apologize, but I have missed writing for you guys, so call this making up for lost time (a lot of it, as you can tell...) My love goes out to all of you, ever so deeply, ever so priviliged that you keep updated on my life and suffer through entires like, well, this one. :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
HEATHER'S GETTING NEW FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!! AWW!!!




*hug*

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und