Skip to main content

Day 262

Marriage Is: 

Good Days and Bad Days
As a child, I had an innocent view of life getting better as a straight and steady 45-degree inclined line.  But as life progressed, a different pattern became obvious - waves, undulating good and bad.  It's just the way it is. And no matter what you do, how good you are or how hard working, circumstantial stuff unpredictably affects your life.  Exhibit A: Marriage.  One morning you turn over and are awe-struck by their sleeping face, compelled to reverently kiss their forehead.  The next morning you roll over and inhale their noxious morning breath, and small offenses mount like hash marks on a prison wall:  Left his beer can out last night for me to pick up.  Didn't do the dishes last night like I asked him to.  Didn't breathe right when I told him goodbye before work.  Mental note: give him the cold shoulder and a snide remark about the dishes later tonight.  And sometimes it is that childish, even if it may not be that conscious.  Ride it out and do your part to make it better.  The next bad day will be a little easier, and tomorrow will probably be the next good day.

Consideration
It's harder than you think, really.  To grind my mental gears to a halt and intentionally take time to process "How can I make Dave feel more loved?" is not a natural pause.  I don't think anyone does it naturally, either.  When you're dating it's different - if you only have one planned date night a week, of course you'll put thought into it, you've got 6 other days to think about how to make it good.  But when you see the guy every day and the last three date nights have been catching up on chores, it's a little more difficult.  He becomes your routine rather than your nice night out; he sees my cowlicks every morning so why bother with the charade of nice dresses and make-up?  Because this is special.  Do not allow him to just be your roommate.  Just because he knows what your farts smell like better than anyone else doesn't excuse your nicer side to be lazy.  Put some effort into it and put on a show.  For me, that's buying a box of 30-06 ammunition for Dave and planning a day at the range, but I wouldn't recommend that for everyone.

Losing the Idol
To me, Dave is the safest place in the world, my Safety with a capital 'S'.  So my world got rocked when Dave started having a hard time after we got married.  And I got pissed, because he wasn't doing his job.  So Dave got pissed and confused.  You know how in the Bible, sometimes God's name is written in all capital letters?  I think GOD wants a monopoly on that capitalization - so he reached through the temples of my head and wrenched out that idol.  Man, that sucked.  To watch the burnished bronze scraped away to raw human flesh and feel the impervious arms beneath tremble under my weight.  So Dave hadn't failed.  I was just wrong.  The statue of what I wanted him to be lies splintered at our feet, the ropes used to pull it down still tied at the broken neck; but now I'm standing next to Dave, shoulder to shoulder, bone of his bones and equally fragile.

Comments

trey said…
please don't ever stop blogging with such honesty and love.

hopefully one day, i can write as candidly as you.
~heather said…
I promise not to

In many ways, when I write blogs like this about Dave and I, I'm writing for you.

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Religious Musings...

So, getting the coffee went well. We ran into an older friend of mine and his wife there and chatted for like 20 minutes or something crazy like that. About life and church and odds and ends like that. But that meant an extra 20 minutes waiting for what Dave had to say. To sum it up, we sat down and tried to comprehensibly write the purpose of our relationship to get things going on the right track: in other words, we want to be less physical and more spiritually uplifting. Dude, even I'm intimidated by such a daunting task. But we want our relationship to be something good for the both of us; the purpose of a Christian dating relationship is to support and rebuke and encourage one another in the direction of spiritual maturity. And no, don't freak out and think I'm going Puritan on you guys or anything, I still definetely enjoy kissing and the odd harmless make-out session, there's nothing wrong with that at all...but it is a problem when the relationship is based on l