Skip to main content

Holden Beach: Day #4




This was the girls' house for this week, "Tig na Mara".  Every morning we've been getting up and reading  and discussing passages from an unpublished book by Dennis McCallum about the church as we feel the house sway slightly.  Every morning after we finish reading we then crank up the music and have a mini dance party on the steps.  Every morning we all put our bikinis on and then take off for the beach together.  And today we were lucky enough to see SUNSHINE.  What a glorious sight after all the overcastness, one that we capitalized on.




In the afternoon, after some fun at the beach, a lot of boys and Emily Morris and I went to the second annual tennis tournament.  Last year's tennis tournament happened on the day where happy hour involved headdresses, so most bystanders were Arabian from the earlobes up.  This year, Cynthia and Emily Maxwell cheered us on from the sidelines, minus the headdresses.  They cheered me on to a magnificent 6-0 loss to Emily Morris.  We left the boys shortly afterwards, men (like mine) serving balls at speeds we could not, and did want to, compete with.  Besides, we were running late for our girls' ice cream date.  (We left around 3; we heard that the final round wasn't even over until after 8)


Claire was catching up with a friend that lives near the beach, and the rest of us went to this little ice cream place just over the bridge called "The Scoop".  While Grace was driving past one of the beach shops, she saw a sign in front that said "Welcome Xenoids", much to our delight.  After being served up by a rather disinterested young guy at "The Scoop", Emily Morris made the mistake of getting a waffle cone with a hole in the bottom, so she spent half of her time bent over a trash can as it slowly leaked away; there was a trail of ice cream drops leading from the swing to the can.  We talked about who was going with who for Date Night the following night (always on Wednesdays night every single year) and took silly pictures of each other.  Which is no competition for the pictures that were taken an hour later.




You see, today's happy hour theme is "Trashy Tuesday", and while we were eating ice cream the girls had an epiphany for how they wanted to dress up: cut up white garbage bags and make their own trashy prom dresses.  So they're rushing around the house, teasing their hair, talking in ridiculous accents, and deliberating over what their drawstring pageant sashes should say.  Then some of the boys showed up in their attire, dressed to the nines for the event.  I was feeling a little peopled-out at the time, so I took everyone's picture and wished them well, and grabbed a book for some quiet time on the beach.  Later, after Dave spent some time at 'Merica's happy hour, he described how everyone was wearing trash bags and talking in very loud hick accents.  I can only imagine.

Out on the beach, I found the sad rubble of Grace's enormous sandy turtle serving as a platform for a small child's sandcastle.  Apparently, the girls' had watched the family building it, but it was obviously too late.  What do you say? Hey, you, yeah, the 4-year-old with the pigtails, buzz off.  This is OUR sand pile.


I sat on the beach reading for a short time but was continually distracted by the beauty around me.  For a split second I regretted forgetting my iPod, but immediately realized what a stupid thought that was.  It was staggering, sitting in the middle of a panoramic picture jam-packed with creation and life and beauty.  Clouds of abstract shape littered the sky, cooling from afternoon orange to an evening purple.  The waves crept farther and farther up the shore as the sun slid farther and farther down; the air was clean with the tang of the salt.  Such big beauty reminds you that: it's all taken care of.  We frenetic little insects, we barely lift our heads from the grindstone to see that it's all taken care of.  This is part of what this trip is about - getting to pause long enough to see it, to see that you're in the world and not running it.  A world of motion and poetry and a delightful abundance of frivolity.  

I walked down the beach toward the boys house to meet Dave for a walk, the waves unrolling before my feet like a silky carpet.  He and I drove to eat a late dinner together at Hardee's, a treat that's unfound in Columbus, and to reconnect.  It's amazing how even this short of a time apart, and even not that far apart, really matters.  And by the time the night had ended, he had walked me back home while holding my hand, the stars were out and my belly was full of a strawberry shake.  And still, going to bed, I was wrapped in the feeling that it's all taken care of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

I Watch You Smile - You Steal the Show

Anyone ever see "Mean Girls" with Lindsey Lohan? When she was pissed off, she suffered from a symptom she dubbed "word vomit". Hers was the result of her convulsing anger, but I have a different word vomit. Mine is basically the result of my vocabulary and emotions upchucking at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to tell you guys; what's appropriate to say, what you don't need to know, what's too much to tell you. This is probably gonna be a pretty long entry, which might scare you off, but after hearing my unusally discouraging tones I have no doubt that many of you are now riveted. I guess...you guys love me and want to know me, and for some, this is the only way you keep up with me. I'll figure out the limit as I go, I guess. I had a very good talk with my momma today, which is a good sign for our relationship. It was violently and starkly splintered for quite a while, but it has progressed in leaps and bounds lately as I've better und