Skip to main content

Holden Beach: Day #6

I'll remember this day for years.

We girls woke up and read together; shortly after our discussion was over the natural movement toward the beach began.  Just before leaving, Brandon and Thomas showed up.  I hunkered down at the kitchen table with my laptop to do a little blogging catch-up.  One by one Thomas and each of the girls took their towels and walked out the door, but Brandon sat down across the table from me.  For 40 silent minutes I continued to write and he sat waiting until I closed my computer.  "Alrighty, I'm heading over to the boys' house to have lunch with Colin."

"Ok," he murmured. "I wanted to ask you something, but it can wait until after lunch."

I paused over my beach bag.  He'd been waiting forty minutes, I might as well hear him out now.  It probably wouldn't take too long anyways.  So I went back to the table and asked, "What's up?"

"Well, I've been feeling an increased need to get baptised this week.  I've been asking people what their opinion is, and I know you know me better than most of the people here.  I'm just afraid of casting spells instinctually, and I wonder what you think of it."

Sitting there, 18 months of history reeled through my head.  Snapshots of Brandon's struggle flipped like album pages.  The prolonged uncertainty of whether or not he was a Christian.  The ever-present tension of his Wiccan past and spell-casting.  The hours spent in argument and conversation about spiritual matters.  The worn patience and frustration pulling against the reigns of a stubborn mule.  His consistent unwillingness.  And the prayers from the last 2 months, always as a skeptical afterthought, that he could give up his Wiccan past so Dave and I could baptise him at the beach.  And I knew I was asking for the moon.

I told him, as I had before, that priority number one was declaring one lifestyle behind him before engaging in a ritual that symbolized commitment to another.  His interest in the ritual itself was nothing new; but if there was a desire for the commitment it illustrates, then that was a cataclysmically new event.  So I asked what he thought about renouncing, expecting the same stubborness I'd heard for 18 long months.

"I think I'm ready," he said quietly, then paused.  "Yeah. I'm ready."

It took a while for his words to travel from my ears to my brain.  And what a lightning bolt when they hit.  My stomach caved in and all the air left my lungs.  My body was pressed to the chair and my mouth filled with laughter as my eyes were flooded by tears.  Words fled the sacred space that had just erupted and called itelf JOY.

Shortly after, he walked me back to the boys' house, and I was left with Colin and a toasted PB&J sandwich.  And I was freaking out.  I wanted to dance (so I did).  I wanted to tell everyone (so I did).  I wanted to play Scrabble (so we did).
 
Even though I lost to Colin in Scrabble, the day was all uphill from there, floating on an unpoppable bubble.  At three, Katie and I left our Scrabble defeat to an afternoon date with 2 girls coming into our group.  Just as the boys played poker with the Diesel guys, we were connecting with 2 of the girls from Diesel over orange julius drinks and an impossible puppy puzzle.


And then, come seven, our house was stormed by an army of boys weilding casserole dishes.  They had promised to make us dinner one night, and what a feast it was: eggplant and meat lasagna, crab legs, a tilapia mix, perfect scallops, roasted red potatoes, even wine and dessert.  They forced the girls to sit at the table, and then came around to us one by one to serve us.  It was absolutely incredible.  I heard one of the girls admit to tearing up as a result.



We planned to have communion together after dinner.  So after a line past the 2 boxes of wine and passing around a couple of French bread loaves, we all sat down together in the living room.  Some of the girls started us off by singing "Amazing Grace", and then we all began praying together for a little less than an hour.  And Brandon, for the first time ever, prayed out loud in front of the group.  Thankful for our patience, grateful that even though he's a "stubborn ass" he got to this point.  Absolutely amazing.




Comments

Dorian said…
This was my favorite day at the beach, by far. God is faithful, indeed!

Your writing is always great, but when it's this passionate it's always a pleasure to read. You and Dave have been doing amazing work the past few years with Brandon, and the positive change as a result is shocking and awesome: This post makes that awesome joy and your appreciation of it very clear. Man... this is so awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

The First Stages

2 days ago I had a coffee date with the girl "in charge" of the house I'll be moving into this Sunday. Snuggled down in a sweatshirt over a white chocolate mocha during a drizzly afternoon we went over last minute details to make sure she and I were on the same page. As we wrapped everything up, she told me to wait and dashed to the car; coming back in with a polka dot gift bag I had only eyes for what lay behind the curled red ribbon tying the two handles together: two shiny silver keys. Inside the bag was a beautiful red journal and a heap of candy from all the girls to welcome me into the house, but I couldn't get over the feel of those keys in my hand with fresh cut grooves. I marveled at the sight of them threaded onto my keychain as Sarah Brasse's eyes danced from across the table. I looked up, feeling the warmth of the mocha spread from my abdomen to my fingers and toes and the ends of my hair. "It's real, isn't it?" I said. "It's

The Core Four

What a wonderful delight - the Core Four are back and typing about their lives. Nothing makes my day quite like reading a fresh entry - or two even! - from Tricia AND Traci AND Jans. Nothing compares. Especially Jans; that was what, a two, maybe three month difference between entries? It made me sad, but I checked as often as I thought of it. What a tremendous treat to click your link and find my name invoked in the first sentence - I'll be on a high from that for hours to come. To the rest of you wondering what names I'm referring to, check on my links sidebar; the three of them and I used to live in three different cities and two different states (now three cities and three states), and our little-traveled blogs kept us connected. These girls are the reason why I started writing a blog at all; it's hard to imagine that I once was the worst at updating consistently...now I can't get enough of it, and I run out of stories to tell (which is saying alot for me...) We all

Woosh

There's no other word for it. I just got off the phone with him. I texted him to let him know that now was a good time; 30 minutes later I shut my phone. My hands are shaking a little. All I can say is...it went well. There'll be a second conversation. It's up to him to call me and initiate this - I leave it completely in his hands (for the moment). I need to see his promises in action. I was more blunt than usual describing things, and we retraced the miscommunication and are meeting on a clean slate. I won't use the past against him; but forgiveness doesn't come as a package with trust. He knows that, too. With humility inevitably comes growth. We were both humbled. I hope he knows that.